Sunday, June 27, 2021

Ruby - a finished quilt

 Well, it's been awhile, I hope all is well with all of my blogging friends.  And that you've all found a way to beat the heat that has us all in its grip.  Since we can't do much outside after around 11 a.m., I've been quilting, trying to finish up my rebellious Ruby.  She'll be in the donation pile for this year's church camp auction over Labor Day weekend.

And, she's officially finished, as of around 8 p.m. yesterday!  Quilting her was a torturous adventure(?) to say the least.  But wonky stitches and all, done and dusted.

And for a reference point, here's what that lovely border fabric Really looks like below. It's one of those fabrics that tends to look washed out in most lighting.


There were times while quilting it that I thought about wadding it up and tossing it in the firepit and lighting a match to it.  Now that it's done I'm warming to it, crazy color combinations and all.  

Some of the quilted blocks:





I may like the "plain brown paper bag" back better than the front!


This morning around 6:30 right after the sun rose over the mountain the quilt, my dog and I ventured out to see what the morning light would do for the quilt.  Not great, but probably a bit better than interior shots. The colors are good in this one:

There was no time to dawdle as the gardens needed watering, then get ready for church service.  Now, after picking up a rotisserie chicken and potato salad on the way home, we're free to while away the rest of the day. And Ruby is enjoying her beauty bath and fluffing in the dryer for a bit.  

Time to quilt June's mini, and try to get all those triangles from the design wall stitched together before the grands take over the sewing room next weekend for their annual 4th of July romp in the country. 

Have a great week!

p.s.  by now you probably know that Blogger is messing things up again for email subscribers.  I don't have a clue how to fix my blog so please read some of the excellent tutorials by some more tech-savvy bloggers and choose a method that will work for you.  Sorry that I'm no help in that regard, sigh.

17 comments:

Hill Top Post said...

How could you say such a thing..."wadding it up and tossing it in the firepit... And, there it is, such a lovely quilt in the early morning light. I love the colors, and I love the quilt.

Lizzy D said...

Ruby is a beauty! Your quilting is gorgeous, I love the reverse [too].

Cool here and VERY windy. I tried to air some antique quilts today and now they feel damp and soggy. Like Ruby I think they'll have to go into the dryer for a tumble, not as sweet as sunshine and sea breeze but that way they'll be dry. 94% humidity.

lizzy

Quilting Babcia said...

Well thank you! I'm sure it had something to do with my failing eyesight and arthritic wrist joints, but that tight quilting around the baskets really did me in! But like I said I'm warming up to it now that it's finished.

Kyle said...

What a fabulous finish. I recognize that border print. It was very popular. The backing fabric really shows off your awesome and beautiful quilting. I'm glad you kept going. Someone is going to love it. The quilt in the tree is a lovely photo.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Done and dusted and truly beautiful! All that lovely quilty texture and pattern. Someone is going to be really lucky to receive it. Stay cool!

Ruth said...

Well done!! I'm sure it will be the star of the auction! The quilting is perfect, as usual. And the baskets are all so pretty, We are visiting family in Florida (after a visit in Kansas) and will head home next Monday. It's actually been hotter in Mac than here, although the humidity makes the temperature feel almost as hot. I am ready to get back home!

Barbara said...

It’s beautiful. Gorgeous quilting.

Jan Hebert said...

Wow! Ruby is gorgeous! I love the backing too. What did you use for backing? A linen? Whatever it is it's lovely. The border print is so pretty! Love the blue in it. The picture of the quilt in the tree is beautiful! Really shows the quilt well. Jan in MA

Chantal said...

I am SO happy you didn't set a match to it. Look at this gorgeous and unusual quilt. LOVE it! Even the back is amazing. You did an incredible job with this one. Congratulations! ;^)

Wendy Caton Reed said...

It is gorgeous! SO glad you did not toss it in the fire pit! Someone will be very happy indeed to receive this beauty!

Paulette said...

It's a beauty! Your quilting is really nice around all the baskets (that feather stitching, wow!). The outdoor shot really shows the colors nicely. Bravo on the finish!

Sandy said...

Very pretty! I love the blue vine on the border.

Janet O. said...

I am so glad Ruby lived to see another day--and another, etc., etc. I think it turned out to be a lovely basket quilt, and your feathers give it a gracious touch.

Angie said...

Beautiful finish! I hope it raises lots of money for the church camp!

Nancy said...

Ruby is beautiful. I'm so sorry she was such a difficult quilt. Everyone once in a while the challenging ones seems to cross our paths. I'm glad you quilted her into submission. I'm sure she will be loved by her new owner after the auction.

FlourishingPalms said...

Well bless your heart for finishing this! The quilting you put into it is amazing! I can understand your dissatisfaction with it as you went, but good for your to stick to it. It's definitely worthy of gifting to someone! Oh there... do you see it? I think there's a halo over your head!

Barbara said...

Congrats on a wonderful finish! Wow, that's a lot of quilting. Someone is going to really love this quilt. Love your photo shoot with Ruby on the tree :)