So, evenings I've begun the hand quilting on my Diamond Jubilee quilt, and there are four more flimsies awaiting machine quilting soon. Needing something easy to work on at quilt ministry a couple weeks ago, I pulled two older donated fabrics from the church stash and cut some long strips. Easy-peasy piecing on the Singer 201, and the next day I pulled three fabrics from my home stash, made a back, found leftovers from some 100% cotton batting who-knows-how-old, pieced a frankenbatt, fired up the Janome and this is the result.
Friday, May 21, 2021
A Simply Easy Friday Finish
Wondering if anyone has a clue as to the age of the printed fabric. It was 40 inches selvedge to selvedge, no manufacturer identification in the selvedges. The red solid is also older I think, measuring just 39 inches selvedge to selvedge. And it was a real lint magnet, catching every little bit of wayward batting. Even after washing and drying every red strip required the lint roller. Hopefully it will behave itself now that it's completed.
I ditch quilted the seams between the strips, did a serpentine stitch within the red strips, then changed to my FMQ foot and followed the lines of tiny green flowers outlining the motifs. The quilting shows up a little better on the back.
Quick and easy, and hopefully will bring comfort and some nostalgia to its eventual recipient.
We've had a couple days of mid-high 80s and sunshine and it's feeling like summer may be just around the corner. I began setting out the zinnias started inside a few weeks ago, but had to quit before noon because of the intense heat. Maybe next week we can get our tomato starts out into the garden.
While photographing the quilt I noticed these just beginning to bloom.
What is very disheartening this spring is the absence of honeybees in our immediate area. I have literally seen none in my walks around the yard and hubby has only spotted one or two. We'll need to pay close attention when the tomatoes begin blooming, and may have to hand pollinate them with a little brush.
The trail cam showed a black bear close to the house the other night, no doubt hoping the suet feeder would have been refilled after he made off with the previous block a week or so before (it wasn't). It was around 2 a.m., thankfully he didn't arouse the dog with his presence nearby, and left without damaging the rail fence or pulling down the feeder post as he's done in prior years. A huge porcupine was spotted in the woods beyond the creek a week or so ago when hubby and Gibbs were out on their daily hike. Thankfully Gibbs obeys perfectly when they are on the mountain, so he escaped any quill attack.
That's about it from our little corner of the world. Hoping to have my May mini finished by the end of next week.
Hope the sun is shining where you are!