Monday, January 25, 2021

From Bits and Pieces a Mini is Made

Recipe for one spring table-topper (because we need to be READY for spring, right?

From a piece of wide backing cutoff, make some squares and strips, add a generous sprinkling of cast-off HST's, a few narrow strips of leftover Christmas fabrics (because that bin is still at the top of the pile in the closet), and you have a January mini!


Add some more of that cut-off backing fabric, sandwich in a bit of frankenbatting ...


Lots of free motion quilting practice - feathers!


A very narrow strip of that Christmas fabric for binding, plus generous amounts of help ...


And somehow it all comes together!  

All ready for the bistro table's return to the covered porch come the first of May.  Linking with Wendy at The Constant Quilter when she posts her end of the month roundup of minis.  Thanks Wendy for continuing this fun get-together of mini-makers!


16 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh it is wonderful!!! My favorite kind of mini. Can't wait to link it in on Sunday.

Hill Top Post said...

Ha Ha! Oh sure, your recipe sounds easy peasy. And just like that a gorgeous little quilt will pop right out of the mix. I wish!!! (Maybe it is because I don't have the right helper!) You are so good at the free motion quilting. I have tried that over and over and it never turns out well.

Robin said...

What a lovely little quilt. It's one of those things I see and wish I had made it.

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you! FMQ takes a lot of practice, and feathers is something I've always loved but not terribly good at it. That's why I tend to quilt them on patterned fabrics in a blending color, so the bobbles are less obvious.

Sandy said...

Very pretty! I love how you made the centerpiece by fussy cutting the print. I’m afraid my mini mojo is AWOL again this month.

Barb said...

It is wonderful! Your machine quilting is just lovely.

Barbara said...

Pretty fabrics! Great little finish.

Janet O. said...

I love it when such a beautiful piece has been cobbled together from bits and pieces that happen to be within reach. It turned out lovely. You and your helper should be proud!
I need to hurry and quilt my mini in the next couple of days.

Kyle said...

I love it when you can take bits and pieces and create something new and beautiful.

Barbara said...

Wow! What a wonderful mini! Love that you used lots of little pieces to make this beauty :) Beautiful feather quilting, too!

Lizzy D said...

So pretty! And those quilted feathers, oh wow, gorgeous.

QuiltGranma said...

Darling little Quilt, great inspiration of how to use my "bonus" triangles!

Nancy said...

Oh, how beautiful. It's amazing what small pieces of fabric can become in the hands of a great quilter! I like your helper.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Oh it's so romantic and pretty. I love it! Nice to make something in January, with springtime in mind.

Needled Mom said...

It’s beautiful and so nice to use up extra bits to make it. It’s like a bonus quilt!

Paulette said...

That recipe's definitely a keeper! Love the way it turned out. Pretty feather quilting too!