Thursday, December 3, 2020

Christmas Quilt Finished

 So happy to say the final stitch was added to this quilt shortly after noon today.  And it was a cold but sunny day with wind gusts upwards of 30 mph, but what could be better than an outdoor photo shoot?

Our snow from earlier this week still persists in the shady areas of the yard and on the hillsides above us. But so good to feel the sun on your back and see blue skies.


I'm generally pleased with how this quilt has turned out, wonky machine and hand quilting notwithstanding.  Since the fabrics had not been washed before construction, the shrinkage should make any wobbles far less obvious, I hope.  And anyway this year who will see it up close and personal  except the two of us?  

I ditch quilted all the major seams and around each of the green squares, then did a bit of free motion quilting in the light triangle corners.  After that was finished the binding was attached in an attempt to stop the batting from shredding any further.  The binding took quite a bit longer than usual with all those points at the outer edges but I think overall I managed to not lose too many.

After the binding, the quilt was put in my hoop and a bit of hand quilting ensued, inside each of the 66 red squares.  Big stitch quilting with Aurifil 12 wt. thread and done at last.


 

The biggest disappointment and worry with this quilt is the batting I used.  A couple years ago someone gave me an older 100% cotton batting by Fairfield called Soft Touch.  The stuff shredded at the outer edges during the quilting process and the needle and thread moving through the quilt also brought up numerous tiny puffs of cotton on both the front and back of the quilt.  After binding and before doing the hand quilting I ran a lint roller over both sides to try to clean it up, using 6 sheets of the sticky roller material.  It looks nearly as bad now, with just the additional handling during hand quilting.  Hoping after washing it shrinks up a bit and tightens all the stitching holes enough so that the batting stays where it belongs.  I'd definitely not recommend this batting for any quilt with dark fabrics...

And here is the back
An odd choice for a Christmasy quilt, I know, but this fabric has been languishing in my stash for several years and just needed to come out and play.  And so it has, and I love it, though those tiny white puffs of batting showed up even more on this side while it was being quilted. 

So, for the rest of December it's play time!  There's a small 12 Days of Christmas panel in the stash that I might layer and machine quilt; we also could use a few new placemats, and there are several small swiffer boxes with leftover HST's for scrappy fun.  And in the evening it's back to hand quilting Sing the Blues, which by my guess is about half done now.  Not much chance it will be finished before the end of the year, but maybe a first finish for the new year?

Til next time, I hope you're enjoying some pre-holiday stitching, taking things slow and easy.  




15 comments:

Janet O. said...

This is a wonderful quilt just in time for the holidays. I am sorry the batting gave you grief. I hope the washing accomplishes the tightening as you wish.
One of these days I may actually get one of my Christmas flimsies quilted and usable for the holiday. You have set a good example for me.

julieQ said...

I really like your quilt! So pretty!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Gorgeous! I love this quilt. Simple yet elegant!

Debbie said...

This looks great...a perfect snuggle up quilt....plaids and all! I like the different feel it gives this Christmas throw without shouting holidays. I had problems with that same batting a while back. A beautiful day for a photo shoot.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I think it is the coziest Christmas quilt, just looks snugable and it's so pretty. Sorry for your batting troubles. I think I had that "bearding" problem once long ago and I do remember it got better after washing, so I hope it does for you too.

Barbara said...

Oh, it’s gorgeous. I love that plaid back. Makes me think of Burl Ives for some reason.

Sandy said...

What a beautiful quilt! And I love the back! I’m thinking a good wash will settle down the misbehaving batting.

Robin said...

This such a sweet quilt, I love the fabrics in it. I think the other thing I like is that the design is simple but makes such a statement the way you put it together. Nice job!

Kyle said...

Your Christmas quilt is ready for some cozy snuggles in December. Sorry to hear about all your batting troubles, but it's good for the rest of us to be aware of it. Hopefully, a good washing will tame renegade wisps.

Angie said...

Sorry to hear the batting was a bust, but the quilt still looks great! I had not thought of raiding the reproduction fabric stash for red and green fabrics for a Christmas quilt, so now I have an inspiration - thanks!

QuiltGranma said...

That quilt seems to glow with the mix of greens surrounding the center of the block = BEAUTIFUL.

FlourishingPalms said...

Lovely! It's so good to see a quilt blowing on a clothes line, even if the temperature is cold... blue skies and sun make up for it. I'm happy for you to have this useable finish, though I can also appreciate your frustration with the batting. I'm familiar with that one (I saw students use it in their first quilts, probably because it's inexpensive) and I'm sorry it's bearding. I hope washing the quilt makes that stop. Enjoy your hand-quilting, and your smaller makes leading up to Christmas. 'Tis the season to appreciate all our creative gifts.

Barb said...

What a beauty! I love your photo shoot. Wonderful plaid for the backing.
This will be sucha great comforting quilt to cozy up in for the holidays.

audrey said...

Oh, this is so pretty! Love the close-up of the gorgeous fabrics.:) The backing doesn't detract from the quilt at all. I'm often impressed with how much leeway we have in our backing choices. If we feelit's a little less than impressive, well, that just makes the front side look even more incredible!

Nancy said...

This is a beauty of a quilt! I love the blocks, the fabric, and the layout with those stripes between the columns of blocks. Just delightful!
I'm so sorry to hear about the problems with your batting. I didn't realize it but I've been using Fairfield batting for a year or two but the ones I've been using are cotton/poly. They were sold at JoAnn as Soft 'n' Crafty. I haven't had a problem with them. It's good you only had the one. I hope it behaves itself better in the wash and dry!