Sunday, August 9, 2020

After the Storm and First Fruits

 Early one evening last week we had a freak storm that began with thundering hail for several minutes, followed by gentle rain that lasted until nearly sunset.  When it subsided, this was our view from the back porch.

And then there was this little guy, one of several who provide a daily flying circus in and around the porch for our continuous entertainment.

Over the weekend I completed the quilting and binding of a lap or wall quilt destined for this year's camp auction over Labor Day weekend.  The top was appliqued/pieced by my friend Lois a few years ago. Finished size is 40x46 inches.  I've had the top hanging in my closet for two years or so, but never was able to work up any enthusiasm about quilting and finishing it.

When preparing the donation label for the quilt I decided to name it First Fruits. Though not depicting the first barley harvest of the Biblical feast of that name, the name stands as a reminder that God's blessings span the harvest throughout seasons and years.  The stars and moon of creation, the kitten representing the animal kingdom, the squash/pumpkins symbolizing the first fruits of autumn gathered for our physical sustenance through the long winter months, the hearts for the love that sustains our spirit.  Thinking of it in those terms my attitude toward it has changed.  

Perhaps what we all need in this year of our discontent is a change of heart.  A new, hopeful, and positive way of looking at the blessings that abound all around us, and less on fear, anxiety, hatred and hopelessness.  

May your week be filled with hope and joy!

p.s.  At least temporarily I've changed my blog settings to only include comments from google accounts. This is an attempt to reduce the abundance of filthy spam comments since the new 'improved' blogger was initiated.  Although I've always had comment moderation in place and hopefully nothing like I've seen recently has ever shown up on the blog itself, I've grown weary of having to see them myself.  I may or may not change the setting back, depending on whether it makes any difference in the spam received.  Please bear with me, and know that I appreciate all your kind words and encouragement.

Also, if anyone knows how to get rid of the "Redirect notice" every time I click on others' posts in my blogger dashboard, please let me know.  It should be obvious that if someone clicks on a blog post, they really want to go there, but blogger apparently thinks we need protection from the good guys while allowing the spammers to get through.  Sounds kind of familiar doesn't it.


16 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I like your thinking behind the First Fruits name for your donation quilt. I have had the same spam problem lately - I mean really beyond the pale awful in terms of inappropriate. They haven't shown up on my blog, but I hate getting the email notifications. I don't have the "redirect" issue. I use Google Chrome as my browser for blogging, and I do think that makes a difference.

Lizzy D said...

I love this quilt! And I love your gentler interpretation , of it and of our current world. I will strive to follow your advice,

Good to-hear the auction will happen! I'd bid on this cutie.

I love the hummingbirds, what a delight.

lizzy

Julierose said...

Well I changed back to Legacy--enough is enough in my mind!!
Nice finish love the cat in the pumpkin block hugs from afar julierose

Chantal said...

Amen! Since you didn't mentioned it, I presume the hail didn't do much damage. The weather is very unpredictable this year.
Love your little visitors. Gorgeous quilting on the little quilt. ;^)

Debbie said...

No, chrome doesn't help the redirect issue. I complained about that a week ago....mo response from blogger. Knock on wood, I haven't had spam issues any more than usual. Who knows why they want to mess with our lives????
First Fruits is good...great name with your thinking. Year 2020 should give us perfect vision...could that be a Godly intention? I believe there are many take aways from our 8 months this year, and each days reveals another one.
We had an earthquake yesterday....another one for the books.

Kyle said...

Your post was perfect for an early Monday read. Staying positive despite the storms. Cute little hummers!

Barbara said...

Someone else was complaining about spam with the new platform too. I’ve been using it for about two months now, and I haven’t noticed any increase. I too use Chrome, and I don’t know whether that makes any difference.

Angie said...

Love your thoughts on the label for First Fruits - funny how looking at something in a different way can make all the difference! I second your hope for changing hearts; we surely need it!

Janet O. said...

Great photos of the clouds and the hummingbird.
I really enjoyed your insights into your new perspective on this quilt. Very uplifting thoughts for a Monday!
I also get the redirect notice, and have sent feedback to blogger about it. I completely agree with your comment--it is only logical that you want to go to the blog when you click on it in your dashboard. Why else would you click it?

Needled Mom said...

I just love your First Fruits. I agree that a mental change is necessary these days. The post storm clouds are so pretty. We don't see many here so it is always a pleasure when we get them. I hope someone can find a solution to the redirect issue. I am back with old blogger (for the moment), but still get that message. Unfortunately, the spam has not decreased so moderation of comments continues.

Barb said...

What a gorgeous cloud photo! wow. I try to remember to look at the clouds when I walk coco.
Sweet little Hummingbird. They are such a little treasure.
Your pumpkin quilt is wonderful and hey- you are ready for fall decorating.

FlourishingPalms said...

What lovely pictures of the clouds, and hummingbird! I so appreciate your perspective on the "fear, anxiety, hopelessness, and hatred" that we're facing in 2020. Overcoming everything is only through faith and trust that God's got this. And we, in turn, simply must count our blessings. I will admit that some days are easier to "count" than others. I'm sorry you've had a problem with spammers! I haven't seen any difference in my blog's comments since switching to the new Blogger. But I do get the same redirect notice as you. I know it's annoying, but in the big scheme of blogging and commenting, on the positive side... it's just one more click to reach our friends. :-) Thanks for sharing as you do. Reading your blog posts is always worthwhile.

audrey said...

Your geraniums are doing much better than mine! All the high temps have made my pots look pretty sad lately. I've been having a lot of spam on the new blogger too. Finally added the Captcha thing though I know people hate it. Hoping it reduces the worst of it!

Nancy said...

Sometimes we really just have to change our perspective to make sense of some things and to feel peace. I like your thoughts about first fruits and I especially like the quilting in the close-up block. Those leaves look fabulous!
If I were a superstitious woman I might say "knock on wood" because I haven't had a problem with spam comments (except for a very few in a language I couldn't read). I think I have my comments set so people have to check a box for a comment to be published. I'm sure google/blogger is trying to make things better, it's just a questions of who's "better" they're going for -- theirs or ours. I've noticed they they've postponed the end of legacy blogger until September now. I continue to send them a comment whenever I encounter a problem. I hope your change in comments prevents the spam you were receiving.

Rose said...

That is sure nice quilt...I just love pumpkins. I like how you quilted it.

Been sitting and watching the clouds form here...I would like to be out somewhere where I could get a good shot of them.

Hill Top Post said...

This is such a beautiful post. I am writing your thoughts in my journal today! And, that the little quilt brought all these thoughts about, surely makes it a very special.