Wednesday, August 26, 2020

August Doings

 This month seems to have flown by with what seemed to be little accomplishment, but this morning I managed to stitch the last long diagonal seam and "Lines and Boxes II" became a completed flimsy. 


This is the second quilt made from a big box of scraps cut for a quilt several years ago, which was donated to our camp auction.  The first one was called Lines and Boxes and this one is Lines and Boxes II.  Both named for a comment my young, probably 4-year-old son at the time, made.  One night at supper he asked his dad "Why do you always wear lines and boxes (stripes and plaids)?  That innocent question has stuck in my memory for over 40 years, so it seems appropriate that this last quilt from that box of squares and rectangles should be named in his honor and given to him when it's eventually finished.   The top currently measures 86x96 inches and uses up a lot of semi-vintage 1980s and forward fabric scraps.  

It began with laying out the pieces on the floor of the church foyer at one of our quilt ministry get-togethers earlier this summer, since there is no place for anything this large in our house. The alternate nine-patch or puss-in-the-corner blocks were sewn during the first few weeks of our lockdown last spring.


Then the long days this month sewing all the diagonal rows together, trying to keep everything in order. Only a few of the shorter rows fit on the design wall.


So happy to finally finish this morning and the impending rain/wind storm has held off long enough to snap a few quick photos outside.  I'll be machine quilting this later this fall or over the winter as time allows.  But in the meantime, my sewing room will be occupied by three grandkids over the weekend so everything needs be put away to allow for all those air mattresses, duffel bags, etc. etc.  I'm so looking forward to their visit since we haven't seen them since Christmas!  Their mom and I will be busy sewing more masks for the beginning of school year (mom is a high school teacher), so there will be plenty to keep all of us busy.  Good times!


And now there is a nearly empty tote to fill with another future project.  Thinking about turning the few remaining blocks from this project into a couple of utility placemats for our table.  That should finish them off completely.  Yay, so good to have one of my oldest PIGS on the road to completion and the bin of scrappy pieces finally gone!


21 comments:

---"Love" said...

That is a beautiful quilt! I love how you did the outside borders. The quilt will be much loved I'm sure. ---"Love"

Nancy said...

What a great quilt! The scrappiness is wonderful but what I most love is how you tied it all together with those rich, bright, mostly-red triangles around the edges. What a treasure for your son.

Chantal said...

It is beautiful!! I love the story behind its name. Children can say the funniest of things. They see the world so differently. I'm looking at your last picture and I think this could be a good pattern for a flannel quilt. Yep! Got to save this idea. Thanks for the inspiration. ;^)

Gretchen Weaver said...

The quilt is so pretty! The red is perfect.

Sandy said...

Nice! I can’t believe that came from your scrap box!

Lizzy D said...

Beautiful quilt! And how fun to have grandkids visit!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

The origin of the name "lines and boxes" is positively adorable! And the quilt is so pretty.

Debbie said...

Turned out wonderful! I do hae to have those long diagonals to sew, but then they are worth the effort, as this one shows. I too love the lines and boxes story because my Dad always wore plaid shirts too. Memories.

Barbara said...

Your quilt is very striking. Love the name and the story behind it.

Kyle said...

What a wonderful story to accompany this wonderful quilt. The fabrics maybe 'older', but the colors are so vibrant. It's a great design for using up some of those long forgotten scraps. Your son is going to love it! Have fun with the grands.

Robin said...

I love this pattern. I keep thinking I'm going to make one like it. It turned out really colorful and nice.

Jan Hebert said...

What a fun story and your quilt is going to be gorgeous. Your son will love it. Kids do say the funniest things! So fun that your grandkids will be staying over, I know exactly what you mean about the backpacks and airbags! Enjoy your weekend! Jan in MA

Hill Top Post said...

Lines and Boxes II is gorgeous! Your son is going to treasure this one!

Needled Mom said...

That looks so nice and I love the story behind the name.

QuiltGranma said...

Love the name of the quilt, the story of how it got its name, and the coloration of the quilt. The red setting triangles really set it off. Is it ok if I use this for inspiration?

Barb said...

your top is wonderful. Great scrappy colors and looks very "autumn"
I love the puss in the corner block. Makes me want to make another one.
Enjoy your time with family!

Quilting Babcia said...

Of course you may! My inspiration came from a random quilt shop photo in an older magazine with no attribution.

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you! I hope he likes it.

Cathy said...

It looks so warm and inviting. I love how it appears that the white chain floats on top of the darker squares.
Cute story about lines and boxes. Aren't kids creative?

Janet O. said...

It is a wonderfully rich looking quilt, and the story of its name is precious.
Puss in the corner is a great block and this really lets it shine!
Enjoy those grands, and good luck with the masks. I am about ready to retire from mask making. A few more to go to reach the 450 mark and then I think I am done!

Ruth said...

I just love scrappy quilts and yours is awesome! What a wonderful quilt. Amazing how that block makes the quilt look so complex. I need to try something with it.