Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Progress on March's One Monthly Goal

My goal for March was to find/piece a backing for the quarter log cabin block quilt and hopefully to begin the quilting.  Happy to report that I achieved both parts of that goal!  After going through the entire stash I settled on these two coordinating prints for the backing, which actually merged together rather well I think, and inspired the name for this quilt.  These fabrics have been around for a few years, as you might guess.


In the late 1960s the song Marrakesh Express was recorded by Crosby Stills and Nash.  Having been raised in a sheltered conservative home, and being young I was naively unaware of the psychedelic counterculture undertones of the lyrics, and loved the song for its light-hearted and upbeat tempo.  The tune immediately jogged my distant memory as I pulled out these fabrics and began piecing the back.  And so, another 50 year old tune from my memory bank named this quilt which I'm calling Marrakesh.   Can my memory really be this old?  Sigh ...

Anyhow, the quilt has been sandwiched, the ditch quilting completed, and some free-motion quilting has begun with the aid of my little stencil collection.  A bit of progress to date:


That olive green fabric used in the setting triangles has given me fits from the start with stretching even after being starched, so I began by quilting them into some sort of submission (I hope!).

Next, the neutral strips in each of the log cabin blocks:


And that is as far as the quilting has progressed as of today.  I have every hope of completing the quilting and getting the binding on during April, though yard cleanup and spring cleaning may end up taking a bit more time than I'd like, weather providing.   It's still cold and windy here, and remnants of the ice slabs the creek deposited on the yard in January still remain.  They will melt, one of these days, right?

Linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal for March.

15 comments:

Debbie said...

Love the backing fabric! I often find music and lyrics from that youthful age come to mind like this. Point is that music is so very powerful in our memory. I do think you will get those fabrics tamed and it looks great so far. And we are all ready for spring and warmer times.

grammajudyb said...

I really like your choice of backing! The colors are great and the contrast to the graphic quality of the quarter log cabins is wonderful!
Hooray, for you, on accomplishing your March goal!

Janet O. said...

The backing fabrics came together beautifully. A very pretty design in the setting triangles. And I like how you are doing a mix of patterns in the neutral stripes.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Just beautiful! And I guess I must have been sheltered too as I remember that song as just being a great tune!

Lizzy D said...

Lovely neutral quilt.

"Take the train from Casablanca going south
Blowing smoke rings from the corners of my mouth
Colored cottons hang in air
Striped Djellebas we can wear at home
Don't you know we're riding on the Marrakesh Express ....."

love

lizzy

Nancy said...

This quilt looks so calm, soothing, and restful. And I love the gorgeous backing fabrics and the border fabrics you used on the front! It looks like your quilting is doing a good job of keeping those green triangles in line. Congratulations on your One Monthly Goal finish for March, Pat.

---"Love" said...

I don't remember the melody, even after reading the words in the previous comment, but I often find myself humming music as I'm quilting. The backing fabrics you put together are gorgeous! Your quilting is beautiful too! You are doing a great job with this one! ---"Love"

Kyle said...

You're ending March on a lion's note. I love those "old " songs. It's nice to pull some pieces out of the stash. Your quilting is great. I especially love the variety you've used in the neutral strips.

Karen's Korner said...

Great progress is being made.

Needled Mom said...

That backing fabric is great with the blocks and your quilting looks so nice.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Gorgeous fabric and quilts.

Linda said...

I love your backing (and the front as well!) Your quilting looks lovely so far.
I was raised in a very protective environment in the 1960s and like you had no idea about the meaning of that song. ;)
Gardening and yard cleanup are interfering with my quilting, but we don't have ice slabs!

Patty said...

Beautiful! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Pat said...

Oh boy - that song is a trip down memory lane...just for the melody and here too no idea as to its message! Your quilt is so striking - like the way the colors are working together and the quilting is lovely.

QuiltGranma said...

Ah, to be so young and naïve again. Or maybe I just still am! The music of our youth still influences us, even if we didn't or don't understand the (hidden) meanings. That quilt will be BEAUTIFUL when finished, and reversible too. You are doing a great job with your choices of quilting it.