Sunday, March 17, 2019

March Mini Madness

Some would say it's bordering on madness to reach into a large heap of unfinished FMQ practice pieces from seven years ago to find the makings of a mini, but that's what happened here this month.

There's this trash bag filled with bits and pieces of things that just couldn't be thrown way when we made our cross country move back in 2014, and they had already been hanging around the sewing room for a couple years at that point.  Most all were stitched during the year-long 2012 FMQ Challenge hosted by SewCalGal (now QuiltShopGal), either as a monthly practice piece or merely doodling.  That big bag is in the way each and every time I need to empty the stash closet searching for the piece of fabric needed for a project.  So, it's now or never, either make something of them or pitch them out!

Some of the remaining FMQ practice pieces, ranging from mug rug to placemat size.

So, why on earth continue to save them?  I guess the best answer is because I don't often quilt these tiny filler designs anymore, since most of my quilts are bed size and I prefer less quilting for a softer finish. Yet, they represent a lot of work in that year of following along with the challenge, and I just can't bring myself to let them go.  Many of the scrappier pieces were either tossed or made into kitty quilts several years ago.

Anyhow, I chose this piece from the June 2012 challenge by Cindy Needham for this month's mini.  Yep, you've seen it before, the never-been-changed header photo since this blog's beginning, in all it's unfinished glory.  This was the very first quilting project I attempted with my then-brand-new Janome 7700.  You can see the original post about it here.   Fast-forward to today, and here is my long-last finished mini quilt.

The finished quilt measures 15 inches square.  I echo quilted the original circle several times, then finished off with many radiating lines out to the edges.

Then since I dislike the look of travel stitching and my eyesight doesn't allow it anyway, there were a LOT of ends to tie off and bury - each one of those radiating lines representing a new start and stop at the edge!

I decided to finish this as a companion piece to Menorah, another practice piece from 2012 that was completed last fall. I was so happy with the gold batik binding on that one that I repeated it on the current mini.


The robins and red-wing blackbirds arrived last week, proving once again that spring is coming, whether we like it or not!  And it snowed a couple inches last night ...  And the pineapple continues to head skyward on its stout stalk, its tiny purple blooms just beginning to open.


Linking up with Wendy's Peacock Party.

13 comments:

---"Love" said...

All of those pieces turned out beautifully! I followed along with SewCalGal a bit, but I threw my practice pieces in the trash almost immediately! I'm glad you kept yours, and I bet you are glad too. ---"Love"

Chantal said...

The practice pieces are gorgeous. Yes, you have to find a purpose for them. I love the picture in your header and never thought it was an unfinished project. It's wonderful now with the radiating lines. Great call. Congrats on this wonderful finish. ;^)

Binsa said...

I loved seeing your quilting

Debbie said...

Always beautiful! I recently ran across one of mine from that era too. I had finished it off and then just stowed it away. The texture of our FMQ is always a delight in these small practice ones.

Janet O. said...

Your new finish is beautiful! That lovely quilting deserved to be framed (bound) and shown off. A great choice for a mini quilt of the month!
I saved a few of my practice pieces from that challenge, too. Some were saved as ideas for future quilting, but I did bind a few and hang them above my sit-down quilting machine for inspiration.

Kyle said...

That practice piece did deserve a new life. It's a lovely March madness mini.

Lizzy D said...

Your little quilt is gorgeous! If I found those ''practice'' pieces discarded at, say, a flea market or thrift shop, I would turn them into wonderful things! Wedding ring-bearer pillows, herbal sleep pillows, sachets, ---purses or bags? Your quilting is amazing, I am so glad that bag has survived its journey.

Mama Lou is still stuck in my head, sigh.

lizzy

Barb said...

Great job on our quilting! Looks great. It always amazes me how quilting creates textures and designs.
Love that pineapple. I had no idea they bloomed like that.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Wow! I can't believe that was a "practice" piece. It is amazing. I am in awe of that fantastic machine quilting. I can't imagine burying all those threads. I think I would lose one heir for every thread I had to tie off. Good for you! I will link you in when I post next week.

FlourishingPalms said...

Good for you to finish that practice piece! It turned out so good! You're an excellent quilter. If I may also suggest, you could turn any of those into zip pouches. I think that's what Christina Cameli @afewscraps is teaching in her newest BluPrint video. I personally really like the idea of FMQing on a plain piece of fabric and turning it into a wristlet. It's great seeing how the pineapple plant is flourishing! Yay.

Dawn said...

Wonderful quilting, I like the idea of a bag full and pulling them out when the spirit moves you.
Impressive pineapple, we still have so much snow on the ground I forgot what green is!
Thanks for sharing!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

A beautiful finish! I've always wanted to try a wholecloth quilt but haven't tried it. That binding fabric sets it off quite nicely. Fooled me too, I didn't know it was an unfinished project in your header. Are you going to put another UFO or the finished quilt as your new header?

Barbara said...

Beautiful quilting and a perfect March mini! I can't imagine doing such intricate machine quilting. All I ever do is simple straight line, lol! Love seeing how that pineapple is about to bloom. Absolutely fascinating!