Monday, February 25, 2019

Singin' the Blues

A long time ago when the world and I were much younger, the country-blues-pop singer Rita Coolidge sang a Cajun-inspired song "Sing the Blues, Mama Lou."  It was a favorite for a long time, and as soon as I started working with my blue strings, it came to mind once again. I've been humming (or singing when no one else is around) that song ever since.  So, I guess this quilt has named itself, Sing the Blues Mama Lou!

Late last month I had started with a pile of blue scraps, the very day Lori had posted her first link-up.

So, naturally not much was accomplished in January, just a pitiful offering though I did join the linkup.

My plan now is to try to get a four block unit completed each month until the quilt tells me it's finished.   It now looks like this, with the first four blocks done and sewn together!  Actually all that white doesn't look nearly as obnoxious in person as it does in the photo below.


While I'm really liking this project, I can already see things I'd like to do a bit differently, so this first four-block unit may end up not being used in the final quilt, but time (and energy) will tell.  And there are lots more strings of every color around here, so who knows where this adventure is headed!

Joining the Stringalong 2019 link-up for February hosted by Lori at Humble Quilts, where you'll find lots more playing with strings inspiration.

15 comments:

Debbie said...

Love your story and the name you gave the quilt. Sometimes inspiration is such a muse for us. Love the blue string idea too. I think these four look great!

Lizzy D said...

Beautiful, you know how I love blue! The song now wll play in my head all day, tho I actually can't recall the ltrics much. Enjoy the cold windy but sunny day! [Let me know if you need some blue plaid strings...].

lizzy

Lizzy D said...

PS

Sing the Blues, Blues,
Wear out your shoes, Mama Lou, Mama Lou,
In the Bayou they named you, the hard-life has stained you,
A good man won't claim you, sing the Blues, Mama Lou,
The midnight hours
At the Old Golden Bird,
Mama Lou sings the blues, like a prophet, who's lived every word,
Smothered in blue light, and lost in her rhyme,
Mama Lou, Mama Lou,
She'll sing you the blues for a dime,

Janet O. said...

Great name. I don't think the white looks annoying in the photo. It provides great contrast for concise stars. And I like the bits of purple thrown in with the strings.

Kyle said...

Mama Lou won't be singin the blues when you get this great string design done. Sometimes quilt blocks are like pancakes, the first ones don't turn out the best 😊

Cathy said...

I like how you sing those blues!!

Needled Mom said...

Those are beautiful. I love that spider web patern and it is so great for all of those strips.

Chantal said...

I couldn't see the obnoxious white from my computer, must be something wrong with my monitor. I love your blocks. The more blocks you will put up on the design wall (or floor) the less annoying the white will be. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to see what else you have in mind. Enjoy! ;^)

Sue said...

Love your blocks Babcia. The strips I have in blues far out way my others. The white looks fine to me!

Vivian said...

Spiderwebs! Yet another string bocks I so want to do!The thing about scrap projects is they never look great when you have a few of them. I think once you have a whole passel of them done, those first four will fit right in. Have fun with them!

Susan said...

I do love this pattern for your strings..and I do remember that song!
Happy Stringing and singing!

Karla said...

Love your blocks -- love the blues and the story behind your block! Spider web is on my to do list :)

Quilting Babcia said...

Hi Karla, Thanks for your sweet comments. You are showing up in my mail as a "no-reply blogger" and apparently Google+ has removed info about your blog so I wasn't able to locate an email for a personal response.

Lori said...

Fantastic start! I love it when a quilt name comes naturally!!

Barb said...

I love that you are open to let the quilt go where it goes. Your blue strips are so pretty.