Monday, December 10, 2018

An old doll quilt

My daughter was recently sorting through some of her old American Girl doll's accessories that she plans to gift to her niece for Christmas.  She still has her original Kirsten doll that she received for Christmas when she was 6 or 7 years old.  Her grandfather crafted a bed similar to the one in the catalog we had, and I learned a bit of Rosemaling so I could paint and decorate the bed.  What I'd forgotten was that I had also painted a large hinged wooden box with a similar design for all the doll clothes I made for her Kirsten doll.  She found it among all the other treasures and sent along this photo.

I still have pieces of that lace trim in my stash! But the photo I really loved is this next one, the quilt I made for that Kirsten doll 30-some years ago.


Enlarging the photo I realized it had been made from scraps from the first quilt I ever made for my daughter for her 'big girl' bed when she was about three years old.  And there are still small scraps of some of those fabrics hanging around here today!  And bits and pieces appear in many later scrappy quilts.

Just a bit of Monday nostalgia that made my day!

9 comments:

Pat said...

So precious - as they say, every quilt has a story and yours is as sweet as it gets!

Dawn said...

Wonderful, tugs at me heart.

Needled Mom said...

Awww...how sweet! So many memories are wrapped up there.

Kyle said...

What a wonderful little quilt full of sweet memories. Those are the best. Love the country blue and mauve.

Barbara said...

What a nice little trip down memory lane. I have a few of the doll quilts my grandmother made for me when I was very young.

Janet O. said...

The quilt is awfully sweet. Love the way the quilt and painted box coordinate.

FlourishingPalms said...

How lovely! Such a nice memory. And didn't you lovingly paint the bed and clothes box, as well as make a sweet quilt? You remind me that I have my very old Barbie doll (a bouffant red-head!) who has a wardrobe of clothes made by my dear mother. Had hoped to pass it along to a granddaughter, but alas, no grand baby girl. Seems I'm saving quite a few girl-y things for a great-granddaughter!

QuiltGranma said...

what wonderful memories all those things hold! You know she loved them because she still has them. be enveloped by the love she has for you , the maker!

Quilting Babcia said...

Thanks for your sweet comment! Yes, I've been nostalgic about that entire set all week. She does love the quilt (and every one I've made for) and said she may give the little doll quilt to her two year old to wrap his stuffed animals in.