Saturday, December 15, 2018

All the little projects

Over the past few days several small gifty projects have been completed, and I think I'm about finished with my Christmas sewing.  That is unless I decide to start piecing the throw size Christmas quilt for us that is all cut out and just waiting for action!  We've never had a Christmas quilt, or a quilted tree skirt either for that matter. 

So, since I'm pretty sure that those designated to receive these little items don't read my blog anyway,  here are the latest quick and easy projects.  First, a set of winter napkins with some leather napkin rings I've had for several years, purchased at an after-Christmas clearance.  Happily there is enough fabric left to make some for our table, a win-win!

Next, a set of kids snack mats.

Another set of snack mats.  These were blocks from a year-long mystery quilt that I quit working on after 3 months.  Wasn't liking the sameness of the monthly block patterns.  They're a good size for individual snack mats though! 

A couple full-size placemats.  These are similar to some I made a couple years ago, and there is still enough of this fabric to make a couple more for our table, another win-win, whenever I get around to it.

And I've made some progress on my One Monthly Goal of making some fabric ornaments to give to the younger grandkids.  A couple of my favorites:
I changed up my process for making these from the tutorial instructions, since the original ones were just flat two layers of fabric and seemed rather floppy.  After a bit of experimenting, I made 3-1/4 inch circles of poly batting and basted them in place behind the center of the pentagon while the edges were being stitched.  Then I used the beads to hold the batting circle in place after pressing down the triangles.  It adds a nice amount of dimension and the ornaments aren't floppy anymore. 

A strange phenomenon this year, there are hardly any Christmas tree lots in our area and the few we knew of had sold out of trees very early!  We drove through five or so surrounding towns with no luck earlier in the week.  Today we went to a larger town about an hour from here (the nearest Walmart and major supermarket, as well as Lowes) and finally found a small 5 foot tree at Lowes of all places!  There will be more than enough lights and ornaments this year, and hopefully by tomorrow evening it will finally begin to look like Christmas around the house!  Ice storm predicted for tomorrow morning, but our November snow is just about all melted and the gravel back roads in the nearby mountains have turned to mud. 

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

10 comments:

Martha said...

Hi!!! I love the idea of the snack mats!! I think I shall start making some too. My grandkids would love them and so would I when they are snacking at the house!! Brilliant idea.
We haven't gotten a tree yet and will be heading out tomorrow after church. I think there is just one lot in town with trees and hopefully they still have some tomorrow.
Take care and have a Blessed Merry Christmas!!!

Debbie said...

You made a good thing out of those unused bits and blocks! I love your new version of the ornament and I am sure the grandkids will too. That sounds like a real hunt for a tree and so unexpected. We just used the small pre-lit artificial one this year. I did not even drag out ornaments.

Barbara said...

Those ornaments are wonderful. I’ve seen quite a few tutorials for ornaments, but I love the peek-a-boo nature of these. That is kind of weird about the Christmas trees. As you know, you could throw a rock in any direction here and it would hit a Christmas tree...or even a whole farm of Christmas trees.

Margie said...

I have been making the grandchildren an ornament each year and yours caught my eye to be the one for next year. You mentioned a tutorial but I can't seem to find it. Went thru your labels but maybe you have it under another name. If you can help it would be appreciated! Have been reading your blog for a long time and enjoy seeing all your projects. Thanks

Quilting Babcia said...

Margie, you are a 'no-reply' commenter so I couldn't email you directly. There are a number of tutorials for this ornament on Pinterest, just search for Pentagon Christmas Ornament or Folded Star Ornament and you will find several to choose from. Seems this is a very popular ornament!

Janet O. said...

Oh, my goodness, you have been a busy little elf this Christmas season! Look at all of the fabric goodness you have created!
Good call on the padding in the ornaments.
Crazy that it was that hard to find a tree.

Needled Mom said...

I LOVE those little ornaments! Is there a pattern that you use for them? Your gifts are all wonderful. They will be loved.

Pat said...

We have heard on the news regarding a Christmas tree shortage...but here in our Wisconsin northwoods we have a choice of at least 4 tree farms within 15 minutes of our country drive. We did notice that this years You Cut/We Cut choices seemed to be a little shorter...but it sure made for easier trimming on the top! I think our warmer than normal summer impacted growth. Glad you found one though and it sure looks like you have been very productive with sewing!!

Ann said...

Your star ornaments are a delight. You made a good decision to add the batting and beads. I'm sure your grandchildren will enjoy them for years to come.

Cathy said...

It's nice to see napkins and napkin rings. I love using cloth napkins but no one else I know does so I just make them for myself.

Cute ornaments! Most of the ornaments on our tree are hand made by kids, grandkids or me and are full of memories but I don't have any like that.