Monday, November 12, 2018

Something New

I've seen dozens of tutorials for making totes, but had never tried my hand at making one, until this past weekend.  Andy at A Bright Corner posted about a cute little French Market Tote she had just finished, and provided a link for a tutorial she had previously posted.  This one looked very simple, no pockets, no zippers, no applied hardware of any kind, just the thing for a quick little project.

Sorting through fabric bins a couple weeks back I found two pieces of a rainwear type fabric, one in navy and the other a burgundy color, probably found at a long-ago yard sale.  I had no idea what I was going to do with them until I saw the tutorial for this tote.  Each had less than a yard left, but enough to meet the fabric requirements, and there was enough yardage of a blue print for the contrasting band, handles and lining.  This is the result.


The only fusible interfacing available in our local store was quite lightweight.  Andy's tutorial recommended Pellon 809 which our store did not carry.  I think this bag is a bit lighter weight than I'd like, and I've ordered some of the recommended Pellon before proceeding to work with the burgundy fabric.  Although the instructions for the interfacing I did have recommended against using it on rainwear, it did work reasonably well, though a few small ripples appeared after the final pressing. 

A closer look at the contrasting print.  Love that fabric!

Now I just need to find a piece of something stiff enough to line the bottom of the bag to provide a bit more stability.  

Moving right along, the binding for Sajou just needs hand stitching on the back, the two Christmas quilts are awaiting their binding, hopefully tomorrow, and another holiday project is waiting in the wings.  Oh yes, the second cataract surgery is scheduled for Thursday, hopefully everything will go smoothly as the first one last week!

Our prayers for all those affected by the utter devastation happening in California this week.  


11 comments:

Janet O. said...

A very handsome looking bag! I do like the fabric you used for the trim.
I have a tote bag purchased at a local craft fair probably 10 years ago--the bottom "stiffener" appears to be a piece of rigid cardboard to which they hot glued a wrapping of the bag lining. I never thought it would hold up, but I use it weekly and it is still doing its job. And I can remove it to clean out all the little crumbs and bits that collect in the bag over time.

Ruth said...

That's a very nice bag! It is very handy to have a variety of bags and they make good gifts too. I have made a lot of bags. It's not my favorite thing to do, but it has gotten easier the more I do it. It's not really hard, but I don't enjoy the process very much. I don't usually put interfacing in them, but have done it. One bag has some extra stiff interfacing but I don't remember what it is called. McMinnville has a new city ordinance doing away with the use of plastic bags, and now if you don't bring your own bags you have to pay for paper bags. I have used my own bags for years so it isn't a problem for me.

Debbie said...

So glad to hear of your successful eye surgery. And back to sewing is great. This tote turned out really nice. Love that print too :)

Barbara said...

It looks fantastic! I love the fabrics you chose. I was making bags when I returned to general sewing. Then I started making quilts and the bags fell by the wayside.

Pat said...

Your fabric was just waiting for a good place to land...nice tote and both pieces play well together! Isn’t cataract surgery 100 times improved from decades ago...fabulous technology. Know you will really treasure the new clarity - so important as we love fabric!!

---"Love" said...

I've never made a bag either, but I need to try it sometime. Yours turned out very pretty, and I'm sure you'll enjoy using it. ---"Love"

Barb said...

great bag and I'm glad your procedure went well and hope the next one will too!

Kyle said...

A fabulous bag and to use some stash as well. I'm sure your next procedure will go equally as well.

FlourishingPalms said...

How fun for you to make something new-to-you! I remember those good days of figuring out something different. Now, I've made so many totes, bags, pouches, and wristlets, the only thing new about them is the fabrics and zipper colors! I'm thinking I'd like to make a couple Ultimate Travel Bags (Patterns by Annie), but need to block out time for them. And what fabrics to use?! That's always a big decision. Glad you were successful with this one, and have the chance to make many more!

Needled Mom said...

Can one ever have enough bags? The bag looks great even if it doen't have the stability you wanted. I'm sure you will put it to good use.

It's so nice seeing that you are back and sewing again. Are you thrilled the surgery is behind you?

QuiltGranma said...

Years ago, when the fabric postcard stuff was so popular, I bought a yard of the unfusible and a yard of the fusible. I never did finish any fabric postcards, but still having that stuff, I imagine that it would be great stiffener for the bottom of bags like yours. Or for slipper insoles, or other things. If you can find a source that is what I would recommend.