Sunday, March 18, 2018

Another completed flimsy, needing a name!

It's beginning to look like a flimsy a month here, but that's about to come to a screeching halt and I need to press the Janome into action to get a few of these things quilted and into the Done category!  That will happen soon, hopefully tomorrow as the plan is to begin ditch quilting the fall oak leaf top I posted about here

The past three weeks or so I've been busy with taxes, a wedding, a grandbaby visit(!), and other pressing issues, but finally had a chance Saturday evening to complete this top.
Such a fun top to make with the scrappy assortment of dozens of fabrics. There may be as many as 100 or more, I didn't (and won't) count them all. And though the photo appears to show the exact same fabric in adjacent blocks in a number of places, I am quite certain they are not! The entire top was laid out on the floor of the church foyer a couple weeks ago during our quilt ministry meeting, then each diagonal row was carefully gathered up and numbered for stitching together at home. It measures 85x94 inches at the moment.  And it needs a name -- suggestions appreciated!

The temperature finally reached the 40s this afternoon and there are little patches of grass here and there, mostly where my husband used the snowblower to carve out paths for doggy walks and to reach all the bird feeders.  I can say we are all royally tired of dealing with the heavy white stuff and the underlying ice.  All except for our insane pup who insists on jumping into the creek every chance he gets, no matter how cold it is and how swift the creek is running.   
Just prior to the last big snowstorm

We'll certainly know where to find him all summer!


15 comments:

Debbie said...

Such a big beautiful quilt! It is like looking down on a dance floor with the twinkling lights above. I love the variety and how it all works together. Call it Life's Dance.
Glad spring starts tomorrow....with nice warm days for a while:)

Janet O. said...

That is too funny about your dog! :)
The quilt is a wonderful combination of scraps that come together to create something beautiful. The first thing that came to mind name-wise for me was Synergy.

Kyle said...

I'm not too brillant with quilt names, but your quilt ministry gals are stepping up the pace with this beauty. I love scrappy quilts like this. It's a wonderful quilt.

Chantal said...

Love your dog picture. Mountain dogs are pretty immune to the cold.
I love your quilt. Amazing how such a simple block with an plain alternative can make such a beautiful quilt. You did a great job. What comes to mind for me is Grid on Blocks or White Grid on Colors. Anywho! I'm sure you will find something. ;^)

Needled Mom said...

That is such a great scrappy quilt top.

Yes, I think the pup will enjoy the warmer water ever more.

---"Love" said...

I'm not good at naming quilts, but I really have enjoyed studying that quilt and figuring out how you made it. It truly is beautiful! ---"Love"

julieQ said...

I just love this one...so fun!!

Kaja said...

I love a good scrappy quilt and yours looks wonderful.

Lizzy D said...

I love this quilt!

I d be worried my dog would be swept away! [of course my dog is a pug, so maybe I am no expert.]

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That's gorgeous ! I love the colors.

Your dog is like my son's pit bull Koopa who will also jump in !

Pat said...

Wonderful variety of scraps and the reds around the outside really add an extra punch. Your pup is so cute - those herding groups live for activity - our neighbor’s Aussie loved to visit us from up the road - she would head straight for the dock and jump off into the water over and over again...

Ann said...

A wonderfully rich scrap quilt. I like the border and always love that "Irish Chain" effect with cream or white. Especially when you vary the sizes of the squares. Congratulations.

Paulette said...

I love how the light colors add a lattice effect. Scrappy Lattice? Or maybe Garden Gate, because it looks like colorful flower bed beyond a gate? Sorry, not coming up with much. Beautiful quilt, though!

Martha said...

Your quilt is beautiful 💗💗💗. I love the white over the scrappy darks! Hmmm. I’m thinking “Awakening”. Just reminds of the cold winter landscape waking up to a beautiful spring with more light and warmth.

Lynette said...

Super nice scrappy flimsy! This will be so very pretty when quilted up. :)