Friday, March 30, 2018

A small March finish

I finished another quick nursing home lap quilt yesterday, using nearly all of the remaining pieces in the pile of yard sale 6-1/2 inch squares that were the core of our quilt ministry's efforts when we began a little over two years ago.  I can't tell you how tired we all are of those squares!  Yet, they have yielded over a dozen quilts that have been donated to a number of causes, nothing wasted.

So, here's the latest, and last finish from that seemingly never-ending pile.
Very simply quilted in the ditch, and I used some polydown batting, so the result is almost comforter-like in its puffy softness.

The back is a piece of 1990s(?) calico from my stash, along with a leftover piece of the backing fabric from my son and DIL's Christmas quilt.  Binding is another remnant from my aging stash.


My favorite fabric in the entire quilt is this one HST of soft gray-green and cherry blossoms.  I wish there had been more of that fabric, so subtle and lovely.

With this one finished, I can now concentrate on getting some of the huge tops hanging around here quilted and bound, and into the Done category.

We got another coating of heavy wet snow early this morning with more possible on Easter and early next week.  It's looking like spring will be very late this year, or perhaps skip us entirely.  It is good quilting weather though, and I can definitely live with that!

Happy Easter!

7 comments:

Pat said...

The cherry blossom fabric is lovely - soft and looking like a spring day...we are the same here - snow and cold predicted for this Easter and into the following week...Great use of those squares & someone will appreciate all the effort that went into such a nice finish.

Debbie said...

Great finish! I caught your comment of your "aging stash"...I love that because it describes my closet of oldie but goodies. although like you I begin to tire of them and want something new to please my eye. Snow? It is 76 degrees here today...so nice. Have a Blessed Easter.

Kyle said...

All those squares were put to a wonderful use. But I'm sure it felt good to see the last of them sewn up. At least you've been using some oldies and moving them on. I should do that more often.

Janet O. said...

You may be tired of the fabrics, but the quilt is visually interesting, and will surely be appreciated.
My stash often shows its age, too. But I can live with that. Fabric prices today are scary!!

FlourishingPalms said...

I know how you must feel about continuing to make quilts from the "same" fabrics. But oh, what a lovely finish. You can be very proud of yourself for doing this generous thing. You're blessing others. Have a blessed Easter!

Barbara said...

Very cute!

Barb said...

very cute mini!