Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Westering Women - Block 3

Hmm, set-in seams, lots of points converging, my favorite kind of block - not!  But we persevered and here it is in all its slightly ripply, not-quite-square glory.
Sweet Gum Leaf - Block 3

Of course after it was finished I went back and reread Barbara's construction instructions...ah, yes, that's how the sections were supposed to be joined together!  I may just try making a second one of these, just to see if it's any easier if I make it the right way. Though that will have to wait a couple weeks while I finish up two other projects with deadlines this month, some stabilizing ditch quilting for the ministry group quilt, and a baby quilt that needs quilting and binding before the 23rd!

If you'd like to join in the fun of this BOM here is the link to Barbara Brackman's Civil War Quilts blog post for this month's block.  Each month's block instructions are accompanied by a wealth of historical information about the westward migration.  Great reading, and a fun project.

10 comments:

Chantal said...

I think it is very lovely (ripples and all). I haven't started mine yet for the same reason: my favorite kind of block, not! I've never made set-in seams before but I am practicing with the 365 Challenge (on 3.5 inches blocks!!). I'll go and reread Barbara post a few times before I start. You did a great job! Love the fabric too. ;^)

Debbie said...

Beautiful block! Diamonds just love to do that stretchy rippling thing. Point to point sewing is an art to get those st in seams. Your matching looks great!

Janet O. said...

Oh, you are brave. When I even sniff a possible set-in seam, I turn tail and run!! : )
Did you get the box?

Ruth said...

It's very lovely. I haven't even picked out my fabric for this one yet. I may have too sew some of it by hand.

Rebecca in AK said...

I love the fabrics in your Sweet Gum Leaf! I can't see any ripples in the photo. I have been watching others progress on these blocks, I have to say this block has really caught my eye, I may have to join in.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

You're braver than I am. I would have seen this and said "no way". Ha! Yours looks great, and I love your fabrics, too.

Needled Mom said...

Those set in seams are always a challenge. It looks square and flat in the photo.

Terrie Sandelin said...

I had a real challenge making this block as well! And, you know, it didn't even occur to me to go see her directions on how to piece it. Go figure.

Judith said...

I totally chickened out with this block handmade a Maple Leaf block instead. I may try it someday when I'm feeling invincible.

Dana Gaffney said...

Yikes! I would have just ignored this one, LOL.