Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Oriental Brambles is a Finish!

 So happy to have another quilt finished after a long hiatus over the last several months.  Here is the quilt I've called Oriental Brambles since the branches in floral center just looks rather brambly to me.  Maybe it should just be called Bramble Blooms 1.5 since it is after all a medallion quilt!

I caught a break in the near-continuous rain around 7 a.m. today, so did a quick photoshoot of the finish.  Some of the markings for the border may still be visible in the enlarged photos.  Later this morning I sponged off the markings and let it dry on the spare bed.




This was a joy to piece, and mostly the machine quilting went as planned.  I used a combination of free-motion quilting a leafy design in the center, serpentine stitching in one of the borders, a couple stencils, and finally made a cardboard template for the "arches" quilting in the blue outer border.  That was the difficult part, as my markings around the template were extremely hard to see, and there are enough bobbles to keep me honest as they say!

The back and binding are a vintage Joan Kessler fabric gleaned from our ministry bins.  It has a wonderful soft hand and the quilt is comfy and lightweight for snuggling in the recliner or sofa.  It finished at about 59 x 65 inches.  

Tomorrow I'll turn it in to the camp auction quilt coordinator to be included in this year's event over Labor Day weekend.  Though I'll admit to being a bit conflicted about letting it go - I never meant to love it so much!

Just a reminder to myself that the rain will not last forever, and to "keep on the sunny side of life!"



8 comments:

Karen said...

I can see why you love it, it's gorgeous! The quilting is lovely as well. Fabulous finish!

Katie said...

It's beautiful and I don't think you need to rename it at all. I know it may not be as brambly as some, but it was still part of the quilt along. The back fabric is pretty. I've been sewing for a local cat rescue using donated fabrics and there are quite a few with Joan Kessler in the selvedge, but none have been as pretty as yours. (Probably mine are the leftovers after an estate sale, but the kitties don't mind and I'm happy for the donation.)

cityquilter grace said...

very very pretty indeed...and joan kessler is an awesome designer...a lot of her fabrics have moved thru my stash...

Chantal said...

Look at this gorgeous finish! I love it too. Love the little hearts in the red border. At first I thought they were flowers, then I realized my mistake. So cute!! If you decide to turn it in, I'm sure it will be just as loved by someone else. Awesome job! ;^)

Robin said...

Absolutely lovely finish I don't blame you for hesitating to give it away. Some lucky person is going to love it.

Nann said...

Pat, it turned out so well!

Janet O. said...

A great finish. I can understand why it would be hard to let it go. I loved the statement that you never meant to love it so much. Surprising when that happens, isn't it? ;)

Lizzy D said...

A beautiful finish~=! I wonder if you did let it go to the auction. I think it's wonderful that you love it so much.