Wednesday, August 2, 2023

When the back becomes the front ...

 Great-grandgirl's quilt is finished at last, I'm happy to say.  A bit of angst in the making, but I think it has turned out all right in the end.  Here is the original front of the quilt after quilting:

I have to say when the top was complete I hated it.  Totally meh.  But there was hope in the remaining fabrics I'd selected for the back, and with a few additions from the scrap pile, and  careful placement and pinning of the layers I was able to turn the back into the new front!




Way more fun, don't you think?  Quilted very simply following the  lines of the blocks of the original front.  Done and dusted and awaiting baby's arrival in the fall.



Then in other quilty news, my version of Vintage Spin is a top!  This was totally fun in the making, and I'm thinking of making another using my tote of batik fabrics, if my eyes begin to cooperate again.  Been having some real issues, doctor's appt. next week and hoping for a resolution.  Right now I'm typing with one eye closed since the two eyes are not syncing at all and much blurriness and tearing much of the time.  Pressing onward, here's Vintage Spin:


I found this large print fabric in the totes, which is just quirky enough to become the major part of the backing for this quilt, I hope!  

This is surely a vintage fabric, thin but still sturdy enough for a backing.  It measures 38 inches wide.  There is only a little over 1-1/2 yards so will need to be bordered.  I'd love to know more about this fabric's origin and age if anyone out there has any ideas.  Here's another photo with the selvedge label.  I tried googling the name but only came up with totally irrelevant responses.


I'll close for now, hopefully back soon.  Keep smiling, keep stitching, and enjoy the rest of our summer months!  The temperature dropped to 44 degrees early this morning, a rather ominous sign for the first week of August!






11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Cute baby quilt, I agree the new front side is more appealing. Either side can be used. Vintage Spring is beautiful! Happy stitching!

Janet O. said...

I like both sides of the baby quilt, but the "new front" is more whimsical.
Vintage Spin looks really good. That fabric will make a great backing. I've never seen that writing on a selvedge. I'll be interested to see if anyone can tell you more about it.

cityquilter grace said...

i love both sides of your baby quilt! and vintage spin is perking up my quilty muse...

Chantal said...

The front and the back sure have a different feel to them, but I like them both for different reasons. Love the Vintage Spin. I tried one block with similar wedges and didn't do so well. Your blocks are so well made. All those seams to match, wow! Awesome! I'm sorry to hear about your eye. I have floaters in my right one. It makes seeing with both eyes blurry as the floaters move around and sit right in the middle of my pupil. I sometimes have to sew with one eye closed too. I need to schedule an appointment to get that fix as it's not something that just goes away. Anywho! Hope they can fix your eye. Good luck with that. ;^)

FlourishingPalms said...

Well I think that baby quilt turned out just lovely, Pat. Indeed, the design on the back sort of "makes it" and it will be a wonderfully reversible quilt. Well done! I also think that Vintage Spin quilt is smashing! Really nice, vivid contrast in your color choices. It works! I'm so very sorry to know about your eyesight challenges. I understand how our vision changes as we age, but it sounds like you might have something else going on. I hope an ophthalmologist is able to get to the bottom of it. That selvage is fascinating! It must have come from China because... did you note the misspelling of "guaranteed"? I can't help that the journalist in me jumps at spelling, grammar, and typos. Anyway, it's a very interesting print. Take care of yourself!

Lizzy D said...

Lovely finishes. Both sides of the baby quilt are charming but like you I prefer the more vibrant asymmetrical back-now-front. Both sides will surely be loved and well used.

Your Vintage Spin is fabulous, of course I love it. It looks very fun to make, was it a sewalong or pattern somewhere? It would be great in batiks too of course.

lizzy

Robin said...

Very clever. I love how it turned out

Kyle said...

Quilts can surprise you when you're least expecting it. Back to front.. It seems to have worked out perfectly. Sorry to hear about your eye trouble. Hopefully, your doc will get it resolved quickly. Interesting piece of fabric. Where did you get it? Being only 38" wide means it's been around for awhile..

Nancy said...

I think both side of the baby quilt are fabulous. But, with you, I like the new front better.
I'm sorry about the problem with your eyes. It sounds awful. You're a trooper to keep on going. I think I might just lie down and keep my eyes closed.
Vintage Spin is wonderful! Some of the fabrics you use really do give the impression that the circles are spinning.
Your potential backing fabric is too fun. I can almost imagine the large motifs being appliqued onto blocks, but it will make a great back for Vintage Spin. I'm sorry I can't help with identification. I did notice that guaranteed was spelled "guarenteed" which makes me wonder if it came from a non-English-speaking country.

Barbara said...

I love your back to front solution--so clever! And it's perfect for a new great-grandchild. Fun to see your Vintage Spin top finished. Lots of movement and the fabric for the backing is wonderful. I hope your eyes get better soon!

Barb said...

Vintage Spin turned out great! Love that fabric for the backing.
I had to chuckle about your back becoming a front. I like both sides, but the back is delightful!