Wednesday, August 10, 2022

One more finish for the camp auction

 Another month has gone by and I'll admit it's been difficult finding time for anything but the absolute necessities of life of late.  And it's tomato canning season already.  Despite an abysmal start, having covid and Lyme right at planting season and never having a chance to weed the garden plot, our tomatoes and peppers are thriving and the romas are outdoing themselves with big beautiful fruit, the best we've seen.  I guess benign neglect can have its benefits, lol!

There is one small finish to write about, can I call this my August mini?

The little Asian quilt was completed last week. I wish I could say that I'd pieced and machine embroidered the top, but it came to me from Nann at With Strings Attached who had gotten it along with some completed quilts at a rummage sale. I decided to lightly hand quilt this one since machine quilting designs eluded me and didn't want to have to rip out any big ugly mistakes.  Maybe one case where hand quilting was probably faster than by machine!  And it was fun to quilt this on the floor hoop, a little bit every afternoon for a couple weeks.  Finished size 35x35 inches.



The backing and binding fabric:


In the floor hoop now is the circus baby quilt, though it remains untouched.  And for evening quilting with the hand-held hoop when the temperature allows is this log cabin top:

Also have begun working on Lori's (Humble Quilts) historic panel challenge.  Keeping it simple hopefully so it can be completed by the November deadline. Thought I had a few photos of the big pile of red, cream and blue pieces pulled from the scrap bins and now cut up, but you'll have to wait until something more is stitched onto this piece to see the glorious mess!


We've had a bit of rain in the past week and the cold front that came through late yesterday brought us a cooler night with much lower humidity.  So appreciated.  Hope all is well with each of you.


15 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

can be a mini if you want...LOL! oh love roma tomatoes...i've been making my own sauce every week...sooo delish!

Robin said...

Your new Asian mini is beautiful. I love the addition of the cranes. It is just so soothing and dreamlike. There are many projects I would like to work on but my big obstacle is this heat. It won't last forever and I'll get my motivation back. What a fabulous panel to use for the Humble Quilt SAL. I never could find one that was quite what I was looking for. Your panel is terrific. Can't wait to see what you have planned for it.

Kyle said...

I love that your neglected garden is rewarding you with so many peppers and tomatoes. Your August mini is beautiful. You're the first one to finish. It's wonderful that you took the time to hand quilt it. Lori's panel challenge is going to produce some awesome quilts. Have fun .

Janet O. said...

Such a beautiful little quilt! Everything about it feels like it was meant to be. Nice work!
A lovely 2-color log cabin.
You chose a great panel. I look forward to seeing what you do to surround it.
Love the story about your tomatoes and peppers. Mine often struggle--maybe I need to try the neglect technique. Well, I guess this year I neglected them so much I didn't even plant them! ;)

Barbara said...

Your quilts are so pretty! Sorry you were sick. I don’t think I knew you’d had Lyme. Hope you’re feeling better now.

Hill Top Post said...

Your Asian quilt is gorgeous! I am not sure how you pulled this all together. You obviously added the lady and the cranes over the pieced blocks. Right? It's a beautiful finish and I love it!

Nancy said...

You have some great quilts in this post, Pat! Your Asian top is spectacular. I love how you've transitioned the blues from dark to light to dark again. Congrats on the finish.
Your log cabin is a beauty. Who doesn't love a red and white/light quilt, and the setting you chose is so stunning.
I'm looking forward to seeing the next additions to your historic panel.
How lovely that your neglected tomatoes produced so well. Don't you love surprises like that?!

Nancy said...

P.S. What is the finished block size for your log cabin squares?

Quilting Babcia said...

Home-grown ripe tomatoes are the best! thanks for visiting!

Quilting Babcia said...

Ah, I didn't complete the top, it came to me as a finished top complete with the machine embroidered "appliques." Wish I could take credit but I can't!

Lizzy D said...

Your quilts are so varied and interesting! I hope the auction is a big success.

Home grown, home canned tomatoes---summer perfection when you open the jar on a winter day. My parents always canned many jars of tomatoes, and my mom would also make and preserve her homemade marinara sauce. I loved sneaking a few jars home in my suitcase every summer, along w her jams and marmalade.

love

lizzy

Barb said...

hooray for mother nature - glad you're getting nice tomatoes. I love tomato sandwiches.
Pretty little mini and the backing fabric is perfect!
You've picked a great panel for Lori's SAL.

Needled Mom said...

Summer time is so busy for those with produce. Both of those quilts are so pretty. They will wait for you.

audrey said...

What a great log cabin quilt and the panel is perfection for it! The Asian quilt is so lovely. My mom used to have some of those prints I think.

Nann said...

The August rummage sale was last weekend. Alas, there were no UFOs this time. I did get some fabric, though . . .