Wednesday, March 23, 2022

At Long Last - Quilty 365 is Finished!

 For what is now years, this project seemed destined to never reach a finish but now, seven years after it began, this oldest UFO finally reached the finish line just before noon today!  It was my priority for the year and there is a huge weight off my shoulders to finally say "it's done!" 

At 110x114 inches this is my largest-ever finish, and most of it is hand quilted!  Here's how it looked spread out on the living room floor after finishing the hand-quilted portion - the entire central section.  The borders have since received some ditch quilting along with a few lines of serpentine stitching. What appears to be a sloppy binding is actually the backing basted to the front to keep the batting away from kitty paws.


And here it is on the bed for a test run prior to heading to the laundromat in a couple days for a much needed bath and hopefully a bit of shrinkage.  The plan was always to make this quilt "bedspread" size for a queen bed.  


Amazing how heavy this thing is!  My daughter likes weighted blankets and I think she will love this.  Maybe someday it will be hers, though it's going to live with us for awhile.  Got to be able to pet this long awaited creation for a bit before giving it away.


So many memories associated with many of the hand appliqued circles, of pets now passed, our time in Oregon, quilty friends who traded precious bits of favorite fabrics while we all made our daily appliqued circles, holidays, the anticipated grandson - now five years old, and so on.

A scrap from my son's wedding quilt - they've been married 21 years this June!

Remembering Griffen

Olie - our faithful Oregon beach buddy


I used Hobbs Polydown batting in an effort to keep the weight manageable, but chose to leave the fabric backing all those appliqued circles to give them a bit more loft - thus adding a LOT of weight.  Hand quilting thread is Aurifil 12 wt. while the machine quilting in the borders is Aurifil 50 wt.


The sashing in all these photos appears red, but it is actually a lovely burnt orange.

The back

So happy to cross this oldie off my list!  

I'm planning to purge my bookshelf soon, and hope to have another post next week of books I plan to sell.  The plight of the Ukrainian refugees has been heavy on my heart these past weeks, and proceeds from any books sold this month will be sent to the Quilted Twins Ukrainian Relief Fund that sends 100% of donations received to Poland where Becky purchases needed supplies that go directly to both Ukraine and to the refugees already arrived in Poland.  You can read about this effort on Becky's blog here. I've linked to the latest post as of this evening, though there are quite a few additional posts as the blog is updated nearly daily.

Til next time, happy stitching!







18 comments:

Tazzie said...

Ohhh my goodness, that is absolutely gorgeous! I just love the fussy cut fabrics, they are delightful. What a fabulous finish!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Barb said...

Woo hoo - stunning finish.
What fun fussy cutting and beautiful quilting too
Enjoy your new beauty!

Barbara said...

Oh my gosh…It’s gorgeous! And I know how long you’ve been working on that! It must feel good to have it finished.

Janet O. said...

What a monumental accomplishment! Kudos to you--I am very impressed! Quality workmanship and lots of memories make this a family heirloom. You have earned the right to keep it as long as you want, IMHO. :)

audrey said...

Your orangey-red sashing just seems to make the circles float across the top of this quilt. Love it so much! Really great to see this today and congrats to you for a HUGE finish! Wowsers, what a big quilt.:) Love all the sentimental bits too. It's definitely one to use for awhile. So funny, I just got my 365 quilt out last week and put it on the bed once again!

gladiquilts said...

Congratulations on this fabulous finish! It’s beautiful and was well worth all the effort. It’s so nice when a long journey project is finally complete!

Chantal said...

Look at that awesome quilt. Bravo! It's gorgeous! I understand the "need to pet this one" for a little while. It's hard to let go of a quilt that I've worked soooo many hours to get it done. I want to be able to enjoy a little before it leaves too. Go ahead and enjoy and cherish every moment petting it. ;^)

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you Gladi!

Jan Hebert said...

Beautiful finish! I'm hoping to finish a rug I've been working on for years in the next few weeks. I would love to make a quilt such as yours in the near future. Jan in MA

Hill Top Post said...

If quilts could talk, I am sure this one would. I understand your need to pet this beauty for awhile. Congratulations on a great finish!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a fabulous finish! I can't believe it has been that long. How wonderful to look back on all those wonderful fabric memories. It is gorgeous!

Barbara said...

Wow! I love all the memories you have stitched into this amazing quilt. What a treasure to cherish now and in years to come. So impressed that you hand-quilted something so big! Were some of your sashing strips cut in one long piece?

Robin said...

Marvelous!!! What a big project! I have never made a quilt that big. You are amazing.

Needled Mom said...

It is worth each of the seven years. It turned out beautifully. So glad you stuck with it.

Lizzy D said...

So beautiful! I love that the circles bring back actual memories. I finished mine and never looked at it again and doubt the circles will evoke anything except yawns. I did make a diary. Maybe it will come out someday....

Angie said...

Congratulations on finishing your Quilty 365 - and hand quilting most of it!!! I love that you set your blocks on point with a burnt orange background. Gives it a lovely warm feeling. I know what you mean about all the memories incorporated in the blocks; it was such a fun project!

Paulette said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finished quilt! It turned out so beautifully with the hand quilting! I love revisiting the Quilty 365 circles when I pop mine on the bed. Hard to believe that was six years ago already when we started them. Time flies!

Nancy said...

What a gorgeous quilt. You used some delightful fabric for the circles. I think the red sashing really shows off the circles to great effect. Congratulations on the finish!