Sunday, November 22, 2020

The Final Four, and More

 Here we are at the beginning of Thanksgiving Week in this strangely disjointed world in which we find ourselves.  I hope you all are remaining well and have adopted the best motto I've found for our current situation - Faith Over Fear!  


I'm happy to report that yesterday I completed the final four sunflower blocks for my Diamond Jubilee Quilt, and that completes my One Monthly Goal for November.  I'm linking this post with Patty at Elm Street Quilts here.  So, here are the last sunflowers, definitely not perfect but best effort.  I'm counting on a nice lofty wool batting to fill out any little wobblies and wrinkles when this is finally quilted.  Optimist that I am ...





And here are all 13 sunflowers on the design wall, sorry about the darkness of the photo, our days have been mostly cloudy/rainy lately.


The next step will be finding background fabrics for each block and making a final decision on what method to use to applique these sunflowers to their respective backgrounds.  That will come in January since there's a lot of holiday stitching and other preparations to attend to first.  

And, speaking of holiday stitching, a couple years ago I inherited a UFO from a quilty friend.  She had begun making the blocks for a quilt called Holly and Mistletoe, found in Barb Adams & Alma Allen's book When the Cold Wind Blows.  My friend is usually a fearless applique enthusiast, but after making a stack of the square-in-square blocks and seeing the hundreds of holly leaves and berries needing hand applique that remained to be done, she decided to abandon the project.  Here's the original quilt, photographed from my copy of the book:

While I love this gorgeous quilt, and who wouldn't, I've found my eyesight difficulties make a large-scale hand applique project out of the question.  So the KISS principle was applied and the blocks were stitched into columns separated by plain strippy sashings and this throw quilt eventually began to emerge.


And here is the completed flimsy, throw quilt size at 56x67 inches.  I had originally planned to add borders to bring it to a larger size, but the quilt said no way - and nothing I tried looked good. The quilt had spoken, and who am I to argue, so after machine quilting this will just receive a green binding and done, hopefully before Christmas.

Various little holiday gift projects are ongoing, as well as my evening hand quilting of Sing the Blues MamaLou.  No current photo, but this one is progressing nicely and I've reached block 19 of 30. I'd love to have this one in the finished column by the end of the year, but January or February is far more likely. And my now oldest WIP, Quilty 365 lingers in the floor hoop, but it is DEFINITELY next on my list of hand quilted projects to be finished.  

Well, supper preparation beckons and I'll close by wishing you all a happy, healthy Thanksgiving celebration!  


19 comments:

Chantal said...

Oh my! Your Sunflower blocks are gorgeous! I love your choice of fabric. My favourite one is the first picture. I can't stop staring at it. Sublime! The old quilt is quite a challenge. Great call on the column. It looks a little Christmas-y. Perfect timing. Enjoy Thanksgiving week. ;^)

Kyle said...

I love, love your sunflower blocks. They're happy and colorful and counterbalanced our crazy year. I really like what you created with the inherited blocks. It will be a lovely Christmas throw. You came up with a great design. Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Hill Top Post said...

There's so much to love here! The sunflowers are absolutely wonderful, and are a reminder to me that I should plant more of the giants in my garden next spring. I look forward to seeing the backings you choose. I haven't forgotten "Sing the Blues MamaLou" and look forward to seeing that beauty again soon. There's certainly something appealing about a quilting book entitled "When the Cold Winds Blow."

Nancy said...

Your sunflowers are just fabulous! They are beautifully made and the fabrics are perfect together. I'm looking forward to seeing the background fabrics you choose and to how you sew the sunflowers and backgrounds together.

Rose Marie said...

Oooh ..... nice sunflower blocks. Love your new Xmas quilt and I do like how you adapted those blocks into a KISS quilt. Well done.

Debbie said...

Wow, the sunflower blocks are beautiful and even the few lesser loved ones blend in very nicely! I think you are enjoying the slower pace with this one :)
The Christmas color throw is a great save and I love that you listened when it spoke to you. All projects great and small will carry us forth. Enjoy your plans for all the prep to come.

Barbara said...

Your sunflower blocks are beautiful, and your Christmas quilt is lovely. I can understand your friend losing interest in the project. I’ve had a few of those I’ve passed along too. Maybe some quilts are not meant to be made by a single person.

Needled Mom said...

Your sunflowers are so pretty. I love what you did with the square in a square blocks.

Janet O. said...

Those sunflower blocks leave me giddy!! What an incredible quilt that will be!
I think you did a wonderful job saving your friend's blocks and creating a pleasing design for a throw quilt. It really says "Christmas" to me.
I am impressed with all your forward motion on your projects!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

You really did right by your friend's UFO. KISS is a really good philosophy and we have to budget our time and eyesight right? Your stars are spectacular!

Angie said...

Thanks for the sunflower inspiration! I think my start will have to wait until next year, but I'm determined to keep the idea front and center. Your UFO project is definitely a great case of using "lemons" to make lemonade!

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you! I love looking at the quilts in that book, though knowing I'll never complete one of them in total. Their applique designs are wonderful!

Lizzy D said...

Beautiful Sunflowers, wow! And a lovely finish for the red/ green/ white blocks. Though the original is stunning, makes me sorry I gave that book away. [I am delusional, I could never do all those holly leaves if I lived to be a thousand years old, hahaha.]

QuiltGranma said...

Amazing sunflowers. Love your KISS solution for the abandoned project. It will be wonderful this winter!

FlourishingPalms said...

You're doing a lovely job with those challenging sunflowers. Are you hand-piecing them?! They look quite difficult. I'm glad you dealt with your friend's UFO so beautifully - and didn't make the crazy decision to hand appliqué all those pieces! :-) Enjoy your Thanksgiving, and I hope you find time for hand-quilting.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your sunflowers are perfect.

PaintedThread said...

I've been following the sunflower progress - I love those. The last quilt makes me think of pimento olives. lol

Patty said...

Those look great! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Barbara said...

Your sunflower blocks are fantastic and they all look so nice up on the wall. Are they hand or machine-pieced? Can't wait to see what background fabrics you choose. What a great idea to simplify that applique quilt! It's a perfect Christmas throw :)