Sunday, October 25, 2020

One Monthly Goal and a Finish!

This week I completed my One Monthly Goal for October which was to finish 4 more sunflower blocks for my Diamond Jubilee Quilt.  This brings my total to nine blocks!  Here are the newest four:




I'll link this post with Patty at Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal Finish link-up, where you can see what many other quilters have accomplished during October.  Thanks Patty for continuing to host this fun goal-setting activity each month!

This afternoon I finished binding my Joseph's Coat quilt and can now put that one in the finished column - yay!  The dog and I braved the cold almost-November gray, dank and windy afternoon in an effort to get some finished photos, with only minimal luck.  

The outer borders could have been improved upon if only there had been more of that wonderful batik that I'd also used in the alternate vertical strips.  There wasn't, and the black batik inserts at top and bottom were necessary to stretch what little was left.  It doesn't look as goofy in person as it does in the photos, thankfully!

I chose this cheery almost tropical print from Connecting Threads for the back.  I love the way the colors of the hand quilting add to the fun of this back.  I used Aurifil 12 wt. thread in about 15 different colors to quilt this, mostly freehand organic lines except for the bright yellow alternate strips where I used a stencil.  

A closer look at the front.  These batiks really mimic the gorgeous fall colors we saw a few short weeks ago.  As of now a few hillsides still have their late autumn russets and golden brown leaves, all the brighter maples of early fall are now bare except for a few Norway maples in more protected locations.

Helping - not!  When I brought out Joseph's Coat II that was completed earlier this summer the winds had really picked up.  Trying for one good shot of them together.




Finally!
For the time being both of these quilts will live here, for the grandkids to use for sleepovers, though I'm thinking this new one will have a place of honor on the back of my recliner until it's time to pull out the Christmas quilt.  Snow in the western states this weekend, hopefully will stay far far away from us for at least a few more weeks!  Til next time, happy quilting!


p.s.  I'm going to try Barbara's trick at Cat Patches and leave the first comment, and check off the box to send all followup comments to my email, since Blogger seems to have forgotten how to do it.  If I've missed replying to anyone's comments recently, my apologies!  



17 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

"Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it." (unknown)

Lizzy D said...

Did you try removing your email used for notifications/ save that; come back in ten minutes and reinsert your usual email, or whichever you want, and save that. The redoing seems to fix the issue sometimes.

Your Josesphs Coats are amazing and beautiful, especially together.

Gibbs is darling, what a funny boy he is.

lizzy

Hill Top Post said...

What fun sleepovers are going to be at your house! Who (kid or otherwise) wouldn't enjoy sleeping under one of your Joseph's coat quilts. I love the sunflower blocks. They are so perfect! Now, after a couple of "gray and dank" days I have decided that I am not ready for winter after all!

Debbie said...

Wow, love the sunflower blocks! Number 1 and 4 are stand outs. Your quilt duo look fabulous. I need to go back and look closer at how you developed this strippy quilt. Just look them both.

Barbara said...

I love those sunflower blocks. So pretty. I’m interested to see how that quilt is going to come together. Love your Joseph’s Coat. I used that name in a quilt of many colors once, only I called it Joseph’s Quilt. I figure he wore it like a sarape.

Janet O. said...

Your sunflower blocks are incredible! You have much more patience than I. Don't know that I would ever be able to complete one.
The Joseph's Coat quilts are such wonderful bundles of color, and that is a fun idea to have them for sleepovers with the grands!

Needled Mom said...

I LOVE the Joseph’s Coat version. That is really stunning. It’s quite breezy here too.

Lizzy D said...

I forgot to say how beautiful and intricate your Sunflower blocks are.

Cathy said...

Oh, those Sunflowers are beauties!
Joseph's Coat looks like it would glow in the dark. Wonderful idea for sleepovers. My grandkids used to like to sleep on the floor and pick out a pile of quilts to sleep on. Now that they have grown up they rarely sleep over. Boohoo.

Barbara said...

Love those sunflower blocks and now you've made nine! Wow! So beautiful! Your Joseph's Coat quilts look fabulous blowing in the wind and are perfect for your grandkids sleepovers :) You've got the cutest dog!

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm not ready for winter either! We could have six months of fall and then move right into spring again. I hope next year brings more visitors and an end to the current scourge of covid. Sadly cases have ramped up in our very rural area, so we're being a bit more cautious and careful around those friends who are more elderly than we are.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I love your sunflower blocks and really admire your ability to make those! Your Joseph's Coat quilts just glow and remind me of stained glass. And... what a cute pup.

Angie said...

I ordered some Marti Mitchell templates for the Sunflower blocks; if I could keep from getting distracted by other projects, I might just start making some blocks! Thanks for the inspiration - your latest blocks look wonderful!

QuiltGranma said...

What beautiful sunflowers! And lovely finishes!

Patty said...

Great blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

Nancy said...

Your sunflower blocks are beautiful! I especially like the one with the red center and orange petals. I keep seeing this block and realized that I have the book with the pattern for it. It looks so hard, though everyone tells me the blocks go together easily. Maybe one of these days.
Your Joseph's Coat blocks are so lively and bright. The backing fabric is a treat, equally lively and bright as the front but in a different color range.
I'm chuckling at your helper. Maybe the most helpful part was that he/she wasn't trying to rub along and under the quilt (as some dog I have known would do).
Did you get the comments problem solved? It worked for me to remove my email address, save the settings, then go back and re-add my email address and save again. Blogger has some strange glitches sometimes.

audrey said...

Always love seeing your sunflower blocks. So gorgeous!:)