Monday, February 17, 2020

String-along's "Sing the Blues" is a Finished Top - At Last!



"Sing the Blues Mama Lou" was the first quilt top I began when Lori at Humble Quilts announced her 2019 String-along Challenge. Pursued diligently for a few months, then abandoned mid-summer to work on a couple other more easily completed string tops plus several donation quilts for our ministry.

I finally got back to Sing the Blues toward the end of January. After several long days of slogging through the string piecing and trimming of the last 108 quarter blog segments, there were a couple more days of piecing the blocks and rows.  That was completed last Friday evening, at which time it looked like this.

Taken at night with incandescent lighting

That looked a little too unfinished to my eyes with the half and quarter blocks at the edges, so on Saturday morning the remaining longish strips of solid whites in the stash were pieced together to make a 4 inch border and I'm thinking this helps finish off the top.  What do you think?

Mid-afternoon with the sunlight streaming in

I had originally thought I might use about a 2 inch white border, followed by a 1 inch border of pieced blue scraps, and another wider white border, but there wasn't enough white solid fabric left and the top as it is now measures 87 by 76-1/2 inches.  I wasn't about to order any more white solid, because, to tell the truth, I really don't like working with white solids which I know are every modern quilter's fabric stash staple!  Personal quirk, I guess.


Anyhow, after fussing with all the bias seams on all those strippy spider web blocks, an amazing thing happened when the final borders were sewn on.  You won't be able to tell from my wonky photos, but this top, for the first time in my entire quilting life, measures exactly the same at each parallel edge!  Exactly 87 inches long on both sides, and exactly 76-1/2 inches wide, both sides! No 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 inch difference from one edge to the other.  How on earth, with all those bias seams??  Never fear, it won't go to my head, 'cause it'll never happen again!

I'm really, really happy with this quilt, all those little bits of blue fabrics from quilts made over many years, plus gifted scraps from some lovely quilters near and far.  A few of my favorite spider webs:




I'm planning to use big-stitch hand quilting to finish this top, so planning to order a wide back, most likely in a medium blue print, if I find one I like.  There's enough piecing on the front that I don't want to add more seams on the back.  Still need to decide whether to use my staple Hobbs 80-20 or wool for the batting.  I'll need to finish Westering Women and give it a first wash to assess shrinkage of the wool before ordering.  WW should be finished in the next week or two, at least that's the plan at the moment.

Completing the Sing the Blues top was my One Monthly Goal for February so I'll be linking this post with Patty at Elm Street Quilts at the end of the month when she posts her linky party.

22 comments:

---"Love" said...

Your piecing accuracy paid off in a big way! That is one beautiful quilt! ---"Love"

Needled Mom said...

It looks beautiful and the white border finishes it off perfectly.

Debbie said...

I love your miracle of the border accident. LOL...never had that happen and I scrap piece many borders. Your blues look so good. The white does finish it off nicely.

Barb said...

Wonderful scrappy string quilt. It is fun to study all your different blues! The white sets them off perfectly.

Cathy said...

That's a lot of blues, my fav color. Congrats on the finished top. It's wonderfully scrappy. I'm not a border type of person so I'm the wrong person to ask about borders. I like both versions. Had to laugh because I thought I was the only one who didn't measure up! I rarely add borders so no need to measure anything so what I don't know won't hurt me.

Sandy said...

Beautiful. White was the perfect choice to show off your variety of blues. Well done!

Barbara said...

Oh my gosh...that is gorgeous! Your blue scrap bin must be weeping.

Lizzy D said...

Mama Lou is so beautiful! I love everything about it, even the difficult to love solid white. I'd put a white cotton batting, bec for some reason it says "Summer" to me, and it would also reduce shrinkage maybe. Connecting threads had some nice wide backings at a good price, I think, recently.

Julierose said...

Just lovely spider webbings!!;))) You had a lot of neat blues--nice work hugs, Julierose

Janet O. said...

It is gorgeous! Blue and white win in my book as favorite two color combo. I think the white outer border is a nice finish--needed it, but doesn't need anything more.

Kyle said...

Mama Lou isn't singin' the blues with this beauty. Its gorgeous and the white border does seem to finish the edges. A big Yahoo! for wrangling those bias edges into submission

Chantal said...

WhooHoo! Congratulations! I've never had a quilt that has the same measurements on both sides. Get a lottery ticket, haha! I love this quilt from the beginning. Can't get enough of it. Wonderful! ;^)

Hill Top Post said...

I think this quilt would be beautiful with or without the border. I doubt that it was an accident that the measurements of this quilt turned out to be precisely "perfect." Congratulations!

Quilting Babcia said...

I was thinking maybe I should be sewing my quilts with bias edges more often if I get better results that way, lol! I don't get excited about my quilts being "off" and would never try to 'square them up' if they are off, because I'm sure I'd only make things worse.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Love the blues with pops of other colors - and I think you did well with the plain white border.

Ruth said...

It's perfect and I love it! I wish I could say that my spider web quilt was finished!

QuiltGranma said...

Lovely quilt top!

audrey said...

Your string blocks look great 'floating' in the background fabric. Good choice. So wonderful when the measurements do the trick and the bias actually behaves for once.:)

Nicole Painchaud said...

fabulous fabric choices. Congrats on finishing your goal.

Lori said...

I LOVE it! That kind of sewing is a bit tedious, but so worth it when its done!!

Patty said...

Lovely! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Nancy said...

Congratulations on the finish, Pat. It looks great. It's always interesting to me to see how such a variety of shades and tins of one color can blend into something so beautiful. I think it's the great variety all together that unifies them.