Thursday, September 26, 2019

Monthly Mini - September


In cold inky skies
snow geese take wing southward as
golden sunset fades

This month's mini challenge began with a baggie of small scraps from a frequent donor of fabrics to our quilting ministry.  Included were some partially completed tiny flying geese.  Too small for any of our other quilters to be interested, they came home with me.  A couple of my own scraps for sashing and borders/binding, a bit of hand and machine quilting, and done.  Finished at 11-3/4 by 13-1/2 inches.


My August mini continues to languish simmer while I dither a bit more.  Maybe October will bring that one to completion?

I'll link to Wendy's (Constant Quilter) when she posts her monthly mini lineup for September.

13 comments:

Barbara said...

That is so cute! The second reminds me of snow-covered mountains.

Lizzy D said...

The poem---haiku?---is so beautiful and evocative. I love the rare sightings of snow geese and swans on dark fall nights. The little quilt is lovely too.

lizzy

Hill Top Post said...

Looks as though the tiny flying geese found a good home. The little quilt IS just lovely!

Kyle said...

A sweet poem and a sweet quilt to match. You did a great job taking those discard flying geese and creating.

Sandy said...

So cute. Those little flying geese really stsnd out!

Barb said...

what a sweet flying geese mini.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Absolutely perfect for a September quilt. I love it! And, I love the poem as well. I think September is my favorite month. I will link this one in to my post on Monday. Thanks for taking part again!

Janet O. said...

Excellent use of the homeless geese! Love your little quilt and the accompanying poem.

Chantal said...

So happy you've rescued these poor little geese. They turned out to be the most charming little quilt. I love the yellow border. It's like the shimmering reflection of the moon on the lake as the geese fly over it. Really cute. I ♥ it. ;^)

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Your September mini is so sharp, with a lovely haiku to match.

Barbara said...

Such a sweet mini! So glad you rescued those geese :)

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh my... haven't we all made a mini quilt with flying geese blocks? :-) Yours looks so similar to the one I made many years ago, and that's long gone. Fun for you to be using up fabric pieces though, and to be making a mini each month. That's a great challenge!

Karen said...

I like how you took scraps no one else was interested in and created something pretty with them.