Saturday, June 22, 2019

Vintage Pansies Quilt is a Finish!

At long last, the Vintage Pansies can be placed in the finish column, and ready for donation to the camp auction later this summer.  This was my One Monthly Goal for June.


The finished quilt measures 83 inches square, prior to washing.  I worked very hard to keep everything clean and free of floating dog hair while working on it in hopes of not having to wash it prior to the auction.

Close supervision during the entire photo shoot was apparently required.  The lint roller will be employed prior to donation to catch any stray bits of puppy hair and loose threads.


A close-up of the lovely vintage embroidered blocks purchased a few years ago from an online auction.

The back doesn't photograph well, but this is actually a little white on white floral patterned wide back.  Very soft, unlike many of the more coarsely woven wide backings available.  I wish I had bought more of this one.

Bound with the same black floral as the outermost border.

I'll be linking with Patty at Elm Street Quilts as soon as the One Monthly Goal June Finish post goes live near the end of the month.

I'll leave you with this vision of catitude, taken yesterday.  We finally decided on a name for this little vagabond, we're calling him Probie (Probationary Cat) which describes his current status.  His tenure will be dependent on whether he and our dog can learn to get along, especially in the house.  We're hoping for the best, they both make us laugh, and we all need all the laughter we can squeeze into our days!



17 comments:

Chantal said...

It is absolutely gorgeous! You've done an amazing job with these blocks. It looks like it has travel through time. If the person who did the blocks has passed away and she is looking down, she must be very happy with what you did. The dark cornerstones bring up the purple flowers so well. Just AWESOME work! I love it. Congratulations! ;^)

---"Love" said...

Your quilt is incredibly beautiful! How fortunate you were to find so many beautiful embroidery pieces alike for a perfect setting. What a treasure it will be for someone! ---"Love"

Jan Hebert said...

This quilt came out lovely! What a nice finish. I love the idea of a monthly goal. I'm a new subscriber - I clicked on the title because my daughter's name is Amity! I'm having fun poking around and am always so surprised to find blogs that I've never seen before, lol. Jan in MA

Quilting Babcia said...

Hi Janice, Thanks for stopping by and leaving your sweet comment. I couldn't respond directly to you since there is no email attached to your profile. We used to live in a small town called Amity, hence the blog name.

Jan Hebert said...

Ah, wondered where the name came from. Thank you for letting me know. My daughter is 40 now and people still aren't sure how to pronounce her name! Amidy, Aminy, no one uses Amity! I do love it though. I look forward to learning more about you and your quilting. Jan (Janice.Hebert01@gmail.com).

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

What a beautiful quilt! I like the dark border. Cats and dogs are so funny, but all the hair. Goes everywhere!

Auntiepatch said...

Love the quilt and the cat! Probie! Ha! You know you are going to keep him....

Barb said...

Congratulations on finishing the Pansy quilt. This is a lovely quilt for summer. probie is a cutie and I hope he can work it out with the dog.
Nutmeg and coco are doing fine, but every pet is different. Nutmeg always has an escape plan for a quick getaway and coco is totally harmless.

Debbie said...

He is a cutie...and he will stay I am sure.
The quilt turned out so pretty....I just love all that embroidery. Be sure to include instructions for laundry care with it for the auction.....Dawn to wash with a color catcher on gentle.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very pretty quilt!

FlourishingPalms said...

Such a nice job you did with repurposing those vintage embroidery blocks. Good for you! It's wonderfully generous of you to donate this for auction. What a labor of love. I've just learned this weekend that I will be getting four quilt tops made by my grandmother. (My siblings and cousins are in Ohio, going through the entire family farmhouse and barns.) I'm guessing the quilt tops are pieced with feedsacks, as Grandma and Grampa farmed - chickens, hogs, dairy cows, the works. "Old fashioned" isn't my style, so I'm very curious to see what these tops look like, and what I might be able to do with them. Hopefully I can do justice to finishing them as keepsakes for other family.

Kyle said...

Your finished pansy quilt is really beautiful. The quilting brought those vintage blocks to life. Someone will not be able to resist this special quilt at the auction. Probie's pic made me laugh too.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Lovely vintage blocks and it's a beautiful quilt. The back is gorgeous with all that quilting. Hope Probie makes it;).

Patty said...

Beautiful quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Ruth said...

I think hand embroidery adds so much to a quilt! Fortunately, someone who appreciates it found it and rescued it and made it into a beautiful quilt! Someone will surely love it!

Amanda Best said...

Beautiful quilt! I hope the kitty works out he is a cutie!

Janet O. said...

Such a soft, beautiful looking quilt. I think the triple sashing is a great effect.
Probie's expression is a hoot! :)