Monday, July 23, 2018

Tutti Frutti is a Finish!

This morning at long last the finishing stitches were put in the binding and I'm calling Tutti Frutti a finish!  Of course there's still the label, but that will be sewn on at Quilt Ministry tomorrow.  For now I'm just basking in the long-awaited thrill of finally having this one finished!

No outdoor glamour shots of this one as we're in the midst of a rainy spell rendering all my favorite areas muddy and unusable.  Pretty gloomy inside this morning as I took these photos.


A closer look 

The main portion was quilted with a version of Angela Walters Leafy Meander design.  Fun to do except over those dratted seam intersections where the FMQ foot wanted to bog down.  Toward the end of quilting this portion I discovered a little adjustment on the foot allowing it to rest a bit higher from the fabric surface.  Duh!  Having not paid much attention to the manual that came with the machine I wasn't aware this adjustment even existed, and since the foot had worked well the first couple years my suspicion is that the little adjustment dial was inadvertently moved a smidgeon every time the foot was installed or removed from the machine.  Lesson learned - always refer to the owners manual when difficulties arise - sometimes they are even helpful!!  Ahem ...

Borders quilted with spineless feathers

Back corner

The quilting shows up even more nicely on the back of the quilt that was pieced with leftover slabs of  a couple of the fabrics used on the front.



As mentioned in a previous post, this was based on a pattern of the same name from Pam and Nicky Lintott's book Jelly Roll Quilts in a Weekend.  A misnomer in my case as this quilt has been in the works for about three months now!  I added an additional row of blocks and the border to bring the quilt to a more desirable size for the benefit auction.  Fabrics came from a donated fat eighth bundle and my scraps.  I used Hobbs 80-20 cotton-poly batting and quilted this on my domestic Janome 7700 using Aurifil 50 wt. thread for both top and bobbin.  Finished size about 72x72 inches.

And now -
In other news, a few evenings back this fellow showed up in our side yard garden just before sunset. 


Pulled down the pole holding the finch feeder, crunched it up and was busy eating niger seed when we discovered him.

Looking rather proud of himself.  These first two photos are about 20 feet from the house!

Rats, I've been discovered!

Western New York version of BigFoot!  The blueberry netting is just visible along the right edge of this photo.  Thankfully he headed off to the woods and has left our blueberries alone ... so far.

11 comments:

Debbie said...

I love your Tutti Fruitti ---it is just wonderful and full of color. Makes you happier than a bowl full of cherries. The quilting looks amazing on this. And thanks for the learned lesson, I hope I remember to check my foot next time.
The quilt should be a success at your auction.
Glad the blueberries are safe for now....these wild critters are just getting too close to our houses aren't they? The bleach splash we use seems to be keeping the coyotes at distance.

Janet O. said...

Those kinds of visitors you can do without, right?
Tutti-Frutti is delightful! It really sparkles, and your quilting on it is beautiful!

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness...your quilting is the icing on the cake! What a gorgeous quilt. Congrats on the finish!

I've tried growing blueberries several times but without success. I think the rabbits eat down the branches in the winter. And thank goodness we don't grow bears around here!!!! There's lots of other creepy critters, though!

Barbara said...

He was in the mood for something crunchy. He’ll be back later for the blueberries. Your quilt is beautiful. Lovely quilting.

Kyle said...

Love the name of your beautiful quilt. Tutti fruity is perfect with all those colorful scraps. You did a fantastic job with the quilting. It's a fabulous finish. I gasped when I scrolled down and saw your visitor. He's beautiful, but I hope he stays clear, especially of your blueberries. Keep your eyes open!

Karen said...

The quilt name reminds me of the song "Tutti Fruiti" (aw rooti!). I looked the song up on the internet and see it was sung by Little Richard.

Marie said...

Your quilt turned out beautifully and the quilting pattern that you chose really adds to it. Always nice to get a finish too. Scary that you had such a large visitor so close to your house - be careful!

FlourishingPalms said...

Your quilt turned out beautifully! I always like seeing different ways to sew together 2-1/2" squares. As for the lighting for your pictures... this is good! I know we see shadows, but when the light comes horizontally across the quilt, the quilting really shows up well. You did a lovely job of it! I'm smiling about adjusting the pressure on the presser foot. So glad you got that figured out! When I teach FMQ, I tell the students about that, and sometimes find that a few of them didn't know anything about that feature on their machine. :-) Ooo. That bear! Up (too) close, and (too) personal! Has that happened before? We often hear about bear sitings in our area, but have never encountered one such as you have. You have something more than rain and mud to keep you indoors!

Nancy said...

Your Tutti Frutti is gorgeous. It is a pattern I have noticed over the past couple of years and every time I see it I remember that I want to make that pattern. (Of course, there are lots of patterns I want to make, so it may take a while to get to it.)

Oh my goodness, that bear! I wish I lived somewhere that bears came to visit. He looks like a young one from the photos. Do you think he was? Has he been back?

My husband grew up in Upstate New York, north of Watertown in the small town of Gouverneur. He's never mentioned having had bears visit (sadly!). You mentioned being in Western N.Y., but you're probably not that far north.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Tutti Frutti is lovely— in every aspect! Well done. Now, those Black Bears— WOW! How, I wonder, can bears glean enough sustenance from thistle seed?

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Love your colorful quilt - and wow about the bear!!!