Friday, May 16, 2014

Bloggers Quilt Festival 2014!

One of my favorite weeks of the year - the Bloggers Quilt Festival!  Hosted by Amy at Amy's Creative Side each spring during Quilt Market, this is our chance to visit hundreds of quilters blogs and see some gorgeous creations from the comfort of our own home.

When this year's Festival was first announced, the Hand Quilting category had been dropped for lack of entries in the most recent Festivals.  Members of the Facebook group Celebrate Hand Quilting successfully persuaded Amy to add the category back, and with over 6,000 members, we hope to have LOTS of entries this spring!

The quilt I've chosen to enter this time is one I completed for my youngest grandson who was born last fall.  Each of my grandchildren receives a hand quilted "heirloom" baby quilt,  and when they are ready to graduate to a big bed they get a child-friendly, rough and tumble twin size quilt that I generally machine quilt on my domestic sewing machine.    So, here is Zachary's baby quilt, a traditional single wedding ring pieced pattern inspired by a vintage quilt I found in Eleanor Levie's book Great Little Quilts.  The original quilt measured only 27 3/8 inches by 35 1/2 inches, so I up-sized mine a bit and added an extra border to make it a full crib size.



I free-hand quilted Zachary's full name and date of birth on one of the inner borders, a portion of which is visible in the close-up below. 
Quilt Stats:
Machine pieced and hand quilted by me
Finished size approximately 45 x 60 inches
Batting is an 80/20 cotton from JoAnn's (I neglected to write down the brand before discarding the wrapper)
Quilted with Coats 100% cotton glace thread

I'll be linking up with The Bloggers Quilt Festival Hand Quilting Category here, and you can see quilts in each of the other categories by clicking the main Festival post here.

Thanks for visiting, and I hope you'll enter one or two of your quilts in this Festival!

20 comments:

Kyle said...

What a treasured heirloom your grandson will have. I especially admire the cable border. It's beautiful.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I'm so glad you entered this. I'm just in love with this quilt!

belarmina said...

preciosa colcha !!!
saludos

Doniene said...

What an absolutely lovely quilt!! I hadn't planned to participate in this year's festival, but I just completed a queen size hand quilted "heirloom" so I'm off to enter to support your cause!!

Blessings and hugs!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This is heirloom indeed..I love everything about it! :)

Dolly said...

That's a wonderful inheritance for the grandkids ! I've pretty much done the same thing for mine, without ever really stopping to plan it that way ! My daughter grew up with hand-quilted quilts as the norm, so I'm afraid that she doesn't realize what a treasure they will be for her kids if she'll just hang on to them and TAKE CARE OF THEM. She's already let one major one mold in a storage tub.....CRINGE !

Anyway, I like this single wedding ring, including the back, and I'm a big fan of 'writing' on the quilts with my needle and thread. Way to go ! Beautiful job !

Teresa in Music City said...

What a wonderful baby quilt Pat!!! It is indeed an heirloom and will be treasured for many, many years :) I love the special touch of hand-quilting in his name - so sweet!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this one! It just looks like a heirloom. I love how you added the border quilting to an otherwise outline quilted quilt. I have gotten away from adding borders on quilts. It adds so much more interest than no border and can be quicker than making all those additional blocks, LOL

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love this

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

Such a beautiful quilt! Thanks for participating in the festival!

Barbara said...

Oh, it would be scandalous to drop hand quilting from this festival or any other. Glad you fought for it. This is such a pretty quilt.

Rachel said...

Great quilting!

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful stitching!

Rose Marie said...

Wonderful quilt and lovely hand quilting!

Jolanda said...

I have that book and I love your quilt! Great quilting!

Di said...

Your quilt and quilting are really beautiful, a precious inheritance for your grand children.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Your quilting is absolutely stunning!!

audrey said...

You are a wonderful grandma! Very special quilt.:)

Deb A said...

That quilt is beautiful and I love how you quilted it. It sure is a treasure he will cherish.

Mina said...

your quilting is quite beautiful