Wow, how can it be that a full three months have gone by since I last posted on this little blog! So much has happened, and lots of changes coming up this next year that it may become the new pattern, at least for awhile. DH will be retiring later this year, and we came to the decision that we need to move back to the east coast to be closer to our kiddos and grandbabies. So, just after Christmas a flurry of little fix-up and remodeling projects began and we now have our house on the market. If all goes well, we will be back in upstate New York in time to enjoy the glorious fall colors before winter sets in once again.
I've been able to do at least a little quilting to keep my sanity, so this post will be a short recap of some finishes and a couple of NewFOs since the New Year.
First, my version of Barbara Brackman's Checkered Past 1862 quilt pattern is finally completed. This one was hand quilted, and the fabrics are so soft, it has quickly become one of my favorites to snuggle under. Unfortunately our weather has not been cooperating so the photos were taken in less than perfect lighting/background.
Last year I found a large remnant of a 1930s fan quilt in an online auction. I loved the cheery yellow background, and not knowing exactly what I'd do with it, I purchased the piece. It arrived as expected with binding on only two sides and the piece was somewhat out of square.
Now, on to the NewFO's!
In March my friend Sarah and I were in charge of leading our church ladies group's monthly activity day, and we decided to work on a quilting project. Since some of the women do not sew frequently and most are not quilters, we decided string piecing on paper foundations would be an easy and fun project for a Saturday morning. We chose the Rock Island Campfires quilt pattern from the July/August 2013 issue of Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting. Sarah and I provided brunch, then working with childrens and baby prints from both my stash and the church's stash of vintage quilting fabrics the ladies stitched up 96 string squares - enough to make two baby quilts. Sarah and I will now each work on finishing one of the quilts in time for the church school's annual benefit auction held the first Saturday in May. Here are some photos of the quilt top I've been working on, right after the borders were stitched and before pressing the top and sandwiching for machine quilting:
Linking up, for the first time this year, with Cat Patches March NewFO linky party, where all you have to do is start a project and then link up and visit every one else's blog to see what everyone else is working on this month.
Thanks for visiting!