Friday, January 5, 2018

First Friday, First Finish

I finished up the fire victims' quilt late this afternoon, a great way to end the first week of the year! Here it is all washed and fluffed, and laid on the guest bed to finish drying.


For a quick quilt I'm happy with the way this one turned out, a mix of ditch and undulating stitch machine quilting, and the binding was attached by machine.  Hopefully it will be durable enough for the inevitable laundromat visits as these folks are in temporary housing for the time being.

A closer look, showing a bit of the quilting and back

Trying to spend some of each evening this week getting back into hand quilting again, plus a bit of needleturn applique.  Taking everything moderately as it seems the carpal tunnel issue is moving in with a vengeance.  I'm hoping as these bone-chilling days begin to moderate a bit that the wrist will also feel a little better.   Not looking forward to an enforced hiatus from my sanity time each day!

I hope you all are keeping warm and safe from the storms.  

10 comments:

Chantal said...

Congratulations on this first (but not last) finish of the year. Well done. Sorry to hear about the carpal tunnel issue. My friend has her surgery schedule for this coming Monday. Hope yours gets better with the warm temps. ;^)

Lizzy D said...

Love the Bubble Back quilt I like the modern look of the large HSTs. So kind of you to share your quilts this way.

Janet O. said...

I think it turned out really well, Pat!
Here's hoping the weather warms up for you and your wrist calms down!

Ruth said...

I love the quilt! Looks great! Have you tried wearing a wrist brace at night? I wear one every night - have for over a year and I think it has really helped. There are exercises you can find on youtube also.

Needled Mom said...

That looks beautiful and will be so appreciated.

Debbie said...

Beautiful and looks so cuddly! I am with you on this cold....I want it to go away soon. Here's to pain relief and improvement for your wrist.

Pat said...

Take care of that wrist! Sharing positive thoughts too...I had the surgery years ago and it took care of the problem. Husband just had his done last fall & recovery was very fast...Lovely quilt you have finished and it will warm the heart and soul of the recipient. Such happy colors and the backing is so fun! Stay warm...

Kyle said...

The hst's came together beautifully and I love how the green border and thin blue one just brings its altogether I hope your wrist settles down when the weath warms up a bit. Take care.

Rebecca in AK said...

That is a lovely quilt. Whoever receives it is going to be so grateful. Sure hope your weather warms and you are to get back to the stitching you enjoy!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That's a beautiful quilt gift!

I wear a brace when my wrist acts up sometimes. The minute it starts I put the brace on for a day or two, especially when quilting or applique.