Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Building Blocks and Bonus Points

Sometimes quilting is a lot like building with blocks, and that's the way this past week has gone. It must be nearly two years ago that I worked on these blocks

and now we're on to constructing the pieced blocks, beginning with these stacks of 5-1/2 inch sub-units involving what seems a never-ending number of HSTs.


All of which will eventually (hopefully this weekend) build the central medallion of this top:
photo from Quilt Sampler Fall 2010

My bonus points?  These piles of HST units created with the cut-offs from all the sew-and-flip portions of the 5-1/2 inch units! 

This top will end up providing me with several hundred of these bonus HST's that will trim to two inches and finish at 1-1/2 inches.  There are 200 so far and I haven't even begun to put the borders together. Off-hand, I'm thinking the border units will yield another 120-150. Oh, the possibilities!

13 comments:

Chantal said...

Oh! It is a GOOOORRRGEOOOUUUSSS quilt!! Love the "Wow" in it, the colors, the flow, how easy the eyes run over it. It is just sublime. Love your applique block. You did an great job! And all those bonus HSTs. There's hours and hours of pleasure to be fun in those. Enjoy! ;^)

Needled Mom said...

That is going to be gorgeous! I love the center of it.

Debbie said...

Beautiful. You deserve the big bonus for your patience in dealing with so many and more to come HSTs!!! But they are a gift and provide great inspiration. Seriously, this a just a wonderful quilt and your stitching on the center is beautiful.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This is gorgeous...so rich and vibrant!!

Janet O. said...

That is such a beautiful quilt--colors are so deep and rich! But honestly, I think I get more excited about all of those little bonus triangles. :)

Cathy said...

Oh, gosh that's a beautiful medallion. It looks rather complex. And it's always fun to have bonus bits to play with. Wondering, wondering what you will do! I usually don't cut them off so nicely or trim them up so have to make wonky stuff.

Karen said...

Love your acorn and oak leaf block.

Pat said...

So striking with the black - makes your colors really look sharp and glowing!

Ruth said...

I agree with everyone who said the quilt is GORGEOUS! I have a ton of those bonus HSTs from my scrappy star blocks - they are the same size as yours. So many possibilities!!

Kyle said...

What a gorgeous quilt. The black background just brings those fall colors alive. And then to have all those bonus hst's to play with. Seems like a win win kind of sewing day!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Pat I came back over because you'd wondered what I was marking the fan arcs with. I ordered Barb Vedder's Large Fan Stencil last week and am using that. Fun with Barb blog :)

Marie said...

The possibilities indeed! So glad that you didn't just pitch the trimmed pieces; it sounds like you've got a great start for another project. Pretty fabrics too.

Julie said...

I had to scan closer to see those gorgeous batiks you used. The hatching pattern for the acorn tops is spot on with them. I wish you speed and good luck to get all the little piecing done. I might be impatient with so many HST to create, but the bonus pieces are fun to think about using as well. Keep plugging away!