Wednesday, February 15, 2017

"Bee Charmer's Flower Garden" is a Finish!

Today I sewed the label onto The Bee Charmer's Flower Garden and can happily call this one a finish!

When I last posted, this donation quilt was just a completed top with a couple major seams ditch-quilted. You can see the back story of this quilt here.

A combination of free-motion and walking foot quilting was used to complete the quilting. First, I had hoped to find a tutorial for quilting some little bees in the central daisy panels, and was delighted to find this tutorial on Lori Kennedy's Inbox Jaunt blog!  After some practice I managed to create a critter that vaguely resembles a bee ...

The sashings are quilted with a few variations of easy flowers and leaves. These photos mostly depict the sashings as a pinky-beige on my monitor, when in reality they and the outer border are both a lovely golden color. I admit to being a challenged photographer!



For the outer borders I returned to the walking foot and stitched two lines of my machine's serpentine stitch, stretched to the maximum (which wasn't all that large) and am very happy with the puffy effect, not to mention the speed at which the borders were stitched!  I think it took longer to pin them closely to keep the fabrics from shifting than it did to stitch all the lines!

The back has this cute rolling hills and farm fabric bordered with strips of the same fabric as the border on the front.

I have to say I'm so happy with the way this quilt turned out, it's bright and cheerful, colorful and happy in every way!  I hope the recipient will smile every time she looks at it and wraps herself or her little ones in it.

9 comments:

Chantal said...

Wow! I love!! The "critter that vaguely resembles a bee" looks like a real bee to me. Great job! I agree with you; it does take longer to pin then to quilt with a walking foot. Congrats on this beautiful finish. ;^)

Needled Mom said...

The quilting is perfect. I LOVE your bee!!! Lovely finish.

Barbara said...

Very cute!!! Fantastic job on the quilting.

Janet O. said...

You made a wonderful bee! The whole quilt is beautifully quilted. I'm sure it will be loved and appreciated.
Is that last photo in your home? Looks like a lovely place, wherever it is.

Dana Gaffney said...

There's no vaguely about that bee, he's adorable and so perfect! The whole quilt is just wonderful.

Kyle said...

What a delightful finish. You decided on some perfect quilting motifs for this quilt and its theme. The little bees are marvelous and are the perfect finishing touch!

Rebecca in AK said...

Congratulations on your finish! I love the quilting! You did a fantastic job on the bees.

Cathy said...

Wow! What fancy quilting! What a nice gift. Congrats on a wonderful finish.

I like that piece of furniture you have it draped on.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It's just beautiful; I love it!

Congratulations on a gorgeous finish!