Sunday, April 28, 2013

Quilt Show Lovelies

On Thursday, Barbara from Cat Patches and I drove to Rickreall, Oregon to attend the biennial Mid-Valley Quilt Guild Show, and we were not disappointed!  I was especially hoping to find some wonderful hand quilted examples, and there were an abundance on display, especially in the mid to large size range.  Here are just a few of my favorites.  You should be able to click on the photos for a larger view.

The quilt receiving ribbons for best hand quilting was this snow-white whole cloth bed size quilt, shown below.  Each block featured a different traditional design.  The side borders were quilted in simple channel lines about two inches apart, to further highlight the center blocks. 
I actually liked the reverse side of the quilt best, and thought the muted stripes added a nice touch to the otherwise stark white. 

My favorite quilt in the show was this gorgeous appliqued Baltimore-style family quilt.  The three-dimensional flowers were exquisitely done, and the 1/2 inch diagonal grid of tiny handquilted stitching was the perfect background for this masterpiece.  Sadly, two of the quilter's sisters passed away during the 4 years the quilt was in progress.




Another hand quilted favorite was this quilt depicting a folk rendition of the 12 Days of Christmas.  The maker chose to simplify the pattern designs  in the larger numbered blocks, which were all beautifully done in needle-turn applique.



Last for today is this gorgeous needle-turn applique quilt which took 10 years to complete.  The quilt was about half quilted when the maker decided her design was not working, so early this year she patiently removed all the quilting stitches and started again!  The result is gorgeous.  Unfortunately I neglected to get any close-up shots of this one.

I'm planning to post more photos from the show in a few days, but you can hop over to Barbara's posts here and here to see more great quilts from the Mid-Valley Quilt Guild show!

Hope everyone is having a beautiful sunny Sabbath!

4 comments:

Martha said...

Looks like it was a fabulous show. I wanted to go yesterday but would have to drive by myself :-( Love the appliqué quilts, so amazing!!! Thanks for such awesome photos and sharing!!!

Kyle said...

I love looking at photos of quilt shows. What a magnificent group of talented people quilters are no matter where they live.

Janet O. said...

Stunning quilts!!

Lee said...

I love seeing, and qreatly appreciate others' applique .... probably because it is not my forte'. My aunt made it to the show and forwarded a photo of the chicken quilt because I've been trying to find just the right rooster for a block in my hand-stitched sampler quilt. Thank you for posting :)