Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Shea's Quilt

I hope everyone enjoyed a Christmas holiday blessed with the cozy warmth of family and friends nearby.  We spent a quiet day at home, much time on the phone with family and friends in other parts of the country.   My foot is recovering well from the surgery last week, though I won't be able to put weight on it for at least a couple more weeks.  The walker is my new constant companion, but preferable to crutches for sure!  We managed to cook our favorite Polish holiday dinner, simple country fare of golabke with our favorite mushroom sauce and some of the pierogi my sister and I made a couple weeks ago.  My sister also gifted us with a homemade cherry pie before leaving for sunny (she hoped) California for the holidays, so that rounded out our holiday feast.

Now that the gifts have all been opened, I can share more of my 2012 quilt finishes.  Here is the first quilt completed after signing up for SewCalGal's FMQ Challenge.  Our January tutorial by Frances Moore featured a great leaf design which seemed perfect for this little girl's Flower Fairy quilt.  The leaf design covers most of the quilt, with some very primitive border quilting designs added in.  This was my third-ever FMQ'd finish!   I neglected to record the final measurements but it is around 60 x 70 inches.   It should be a perfect size for a toddler bed or a small twin size and was made for our oldest granddaughter, now 3 1/2 years old.  
The colors are a bit washed out in the photos taken outdoors last June, and are a bit more true here in these close-ups.


Overall I was very happy with the way this turned out, and although all of the many quilting errors were glaringly apparent while under the needle, now nearly a year later I don't remember any of them LOL!

Over the next week or two I'll share the other five quilts completed during the year, one for each of our grandchildren.   

No FMQ practice this week as I've decided to spend my recuperation time attempting to complete the hand quilting on a queen size quilt that was started nearly 16 years ago!  At this point it's probably the oldest UFO still awaiting a finish, now that the 30-year-old Christmas ornament has reached its new home!

Until next time, hope your quilting holidays are full of joy!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful finish! She will, undoubtedly, treasure this even more as time passes! Can't believe how much we all advanced in our FMQ skills! Looking forward to seeing your other quilts. Hugs, D

Barbara said...

Beautiful! The quilting looks amazing to me.

Martha said...

It is beautiful and I love the quilting! Well done!! Glad you are on the road to recovery!!! The weeks will pass by quickly :-)